Carroll County fossils?

Daisbea

Hi friends I was wondering if Carroll county maryland can have fossils? Is there any way I could find fossils in a creek near my house? I border Howard so southern Carroll county.

On 12/28/2022 at 8:26 PM, Daisbea said:

Hi friends I was wondering if Carroll county maryland can have fossils? Is there any way I could find fossils in a creek near my house? I border Howard so southern Carroll county.

Hey Daisbea!

The northwestern part of Carroll County is underlaid by the late Triassic Newark Group, which has produced fossils in parts of Frederick County and southern Pennsylvania. I don't know of any specific sites in Carroll, but I'd imagine finding a stream that cuts through the Newark Group would be a decent place to start. Other than that, I used to find trilobite parts and trace fossils along the Monocacy River in Frederick County. Further north you might be able to find dinosaur-aged material closer to the Pennsylvania border. 

• 2 months later...
On 1/4/2023 at 8:54 PM, EMP said:

Hey Daisbea!

The northwestern part of Carroll County is underlaid by the late Triassic Newark Group, which has produced fossils in parts of Frederick County and southern Pennsylvania. I don't know of any specific sites in Carroll, but I'd imagine finding a stream that cuts through the Newark Group would be a decent place to start. Other than that, I used to find trilobite parts and trace fossils along the Monocacy River in Frederick County. Further north you might be able to find dinosaur-aged material closer to the Pennsylvania border. 

Thanks so much! Sorry for a late reply. What types of fossils have typically been found in the newark group?

thanks!

Just now, Daisbea said:

Thanks so much! Sorry for a late reply. What types of fossils have typically been found in the newark group?

thanks!

No worries, I'm glad to help! Most of the fossils I've found in the Newark were limited to root silts (basically the impressions of plant roots) and some small trace fossils from worms and insects. People have found things like amphibian and reptile (even dinosaur) footprints, as well as more complete plants, but from what I understand those are very localized in where they occur. 

9 minutes ago, EMP said:

No worries, I'm glad to help! Most of the fossils I've found in the Newark were limited to root silts (basically the impressions of plant roots) and some small trace fossils from worms and insects. People have found things like amphibian and reptile (even dinosaur) footprints, as well as more complete plants, but from what I understand those are very localized in where they occur. 

Thank you so much :) as an aspiring paleontologist this makes me very happy to know i dont have to drive to the Potomac whenever i want to hunt!