Help request: feedback on layout for blastoid identification guide

pefty

Hey all, I could use some specific feedback on this visual guide I'm working on for the diverse blastoid fauna of the Burlington Formation (Mississippian, Mississippi Valley / Illinois Basin). The job of these 3 pages is to show, on each page, one of the three standard views for all Burlington species. Specifically I'd like to ask whether you prefer the horizontal layouts or the vertical ones. For some reasons I prefer vertical, while for other reasons I prefer horizontal. What do you think?

Please keep in mind that these are not the only pages in the complete visual guide -- most of the rest of the guide shows all views for a given species together on a single page. Yet other pages show the relative or absolute sizes of the various species. You can view all the pages of this work in progress at tinyurl.com/burlblastguide

Thanks for your feedback!

HORIZONTAL VERSIONS:

1362258878_VerticalBurlingtonblastoidIDguide(1)(dragged).thumb.png.d0008270469a51c9bdca43a545642b31.png

1782445697_VerticalBurlingtonblastoidIDguide(1)(dragged)2.thumb.png.048959df62cbd5d09586aff378b00ff0.png

1289126044_VerticalBurlingtonblastoidIDguide(1)(dragged)3.thumb.png.35426fca87f05d01f30770e3cbd6dc56.png

VERTICAL VERSIONS:

711820413_VerticalBurlingtonblastoidIDguide(1)(dragged)4.thumb.png.27f3aea5961b61a139a1fc1d6ba1e5f1.png

1881535375_VerticalBurlingtonblastoidIDguide(1)(dragged)5.thumb.png.08cc2fb49f8535f534e43bcc95deed1c.png

291573069_VerticalBurlingtonblastoidIDguide(1)(dragged)6.thumb.png.e62def7f35114f2089ca1a7a984edba6.png

Edited by pefty
  • Enjoyed 2

I like the vertical alignment as it matches the way the layers exist in life, but it doesn’t fit with the vertical format of the rest of your guide.  You would probably need to lay out the whole guide in a horizontal page format.  By the way, this looks really nice, but I have one question.  Some of your sources probably are still under copyright, have you received permission to use them?

22 minutes ago, Sagebrush Steve said:

I like the vertical alignment as it matches the way the layers exist in life, but it doesn’t fit with the vertical format of the rest of your guide.  You would probably need to lay out the whole guide in a horizontal page format.  By the way, this looks really nice, but I have one question.  Some of your sources probably are still under copyright, have you received permission to use them?

By which I mean I like the format showing the layers stacked vertically, which you call the horizontal layout :Wink1:

Thanks, Steve. Yes, copyright remains an issue to be sorted out for some images, which is why I'm looking for a partner org to work with to get identification guides like this published. On this topic, I recently found out about the Geological Society of America's quasi-decent but at least explicit Fair Use policy: https://www.geosociety.org/gsa/pubs/guide/copyright.aspx#fair. Maybe the Paleontological Society and the Paleontological Institute at the University of Kansas (the two publishers that sourced most of the images I included) could be persuaded to adopt a similar or perhaps more liberal Fair Use policy as well.

• I found this Informative 1