Help identifying fossils from Manasota Key, FL

arationallens

In my opinion, this is more exciting than coral, fin, or plant: It's a fragment of mammoth tooth! Nice find!

Edited by Carl
  • I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 2

@Carl Really?!! That’s so cool!! Tooth crossed my mind because of the marrow-like center but I didn’t knife what animal could have such a flat tooth. Thank you so much!!  

I have one more possible fossil that I’m not sure about. I was thinking turtle shell. Just added photos. If you happen to have any idea!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

22 minutes ago, arationallens said:

@Carl Really?!! That’s so cool!! Tooth crossed my mind because of the marrow-like center but I didn’t knife what animal could have such a flat tooth. Thank you so much!!  

I have one more possible fossil that I’m not sure about. I was thinking turtle shell. Just added photos. If you happen to have any idea!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

People might suggest that this one is a crocodile osteoderm but I think it's not a great match. It looks like a fragment of mammal bone exposing the cancellous interior.

And as for mammoths having flat teeth, they actually don't. You have one of many plates from a HUGE tooth. Google images of mammoth teeth and you'll see what I mean.

Yup, @Carl is correct on both counts - first is definitely the root of a Mammoth molar - the molars are made from layered plates, you've got the tip of a root from one such plate! And the second piece looks more like mammal bone over turtle shell. Definitely not a crocodile osteoderm - those are much more rounded and have much more pronounced holes.

• Enjoyed 1

Fossils? I dig it. :meg:

Cool find! I remember when I was little and I went on my first fossil hunting trip. I found a mammoth tooth fragment and ever since I found that, I had been hooked on fossil collecting.

• Enjoyed 1

Mammoth teeth:

IMG_3055.JPG.9bfededb9b7e1a17032712bf343d9a53.JPG

A Mammoth plate:

I found a total of 6 individual plates over a couple of weeks in 2019.. It seemed like sand was erasing the cementum between these plates...

MammothPlateCrop.jpg.ca69751d8b9f5cfc750b526fe9f02f97.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

On 12/29/2022 at 9:18 AM, Meganeura said:

Yup, @Carl is correct on both counts - first is definitely the root of a Mammoth molar - the molars are made from layered plates, you've got the tip of a root from one such plate! And the second piece looks more like mammal bone over turtle shell. Definitely not a crocodile osteoderm - those are much more rounded and have much more pronounced holes.

Neat finds. I like the turtle/tortoise shell possibility as I'm thinking the linear groove is possibly a worn sulcus......here's a scrap I have that has some similarity to the unknown...

347929070_Possiblesulcusfromtortoiseturtleshell.thumb.jpg.c52fcec766a672c4e2ef075d392cfde8.jpg

Regards, Chris 

• I Agree 1

Looks like the mammoth root fragment I found! Nice.

20220326_225759.jpg

20220326_225812.jpg

20220326_230022.jpg

Edited by johnnyvaldez7.jv