Fossil shark teeth from Ukraine - What formation?

bthemoose

I acquired some Paleogene fossil shark teeth from a Ukrainian fossil hunter/collector and was wondering if anyone here might know what formations these may have come from. They were found on an island in the Dnieper River near/just south of Kyiv. The collector didn't know the specific formation and described them as coming from sand alluvium. From what I can tell, these appear to all be Eocene species, though not being familiar with the local geology, I can't rule out Paleocene for the Otodus obliquus tooth at least. Any ID corrections are of course welcome as well!

Otodus obliquus

Otodus.thumb.jpg.1406f7c019ede25444f5fff3f9bfb95c.jpg

Hexanchus agassizi

Hexanchus.jpg.955d73adcfe533ea8c59875d6ce41860.jpg

Jaekelotodus trigonalis

Jaekelotodus.jpg.3bf6d35cc0047dc6d4452246ab55e51b.jpg

Otodus aksuaticus or O. auriculatus

142080035_TransitionalOtodus.jpg.e7ce41705db8133f1625ee577922cdf1.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Fossil shark teeth from Ukraine - What formation?

@Anomotodon is the person I’d ask if I had questions about Ukrainian shark teeth. @Kolya May also have an opinion. 

I’m curious about the ID of H. agassizi versus H. microdon. Was that how it was labeled or is the ID you arrived at ? 

20 minutes ago, fossilsonwheels said:

@Anomotodon is the person I’d ask if I had questions about Ukrainian shark teeth. @Kolya May also have an opinion. 

I’m curious about the ID of H. agassizi versus H. microdon. Was that how it was labeled or is the ID you arrived at ? 

Thanks for the suggestions! My cow shark knowledge is limited and I may well be wrong on the H. agassizi ID. Do you think H. microdon is more likely? (The ID that came with the tooth was Weltonia ancistrodon, but I’m pretty sure that’s incorrect.)

7 minutes ago, bthemoose said:

Thanks for the suggestions! My cow shark knowledge is limited and I may well be wrong on the H. agassizi ID. Do you think H. microdon is more likely? (The ID that came with the tooth was Weltonia ancistrodon, but I’m pretty sure that’s incorrect.)

The teeth I have from the Kyiv Clay are H. microdon and the H.agassizi teeth in my collection are really small but I am no expert. My teeth came from Tym (Anomotodon) and he definitely knows Ukrainian teeth. Yes Weltonia is incorrect. I have a few Kyiv Clay teeth and the preservation is not dissimilar to yours but I don’t have the knowledge to say much more than. 

That Otodus is a beautiful tooth btw.