Possible covered Silurian bivalve?

GreatHoatzin

I did more collecting by the Grand River the other day and pulled this out of one of the cliffs. With its ridged and seemingly circular shape I think it may be an ammonite. The exposed portion is about 1.5cm. Please let me know if images of better quality are needed for an ID.

ammonite 4.jpg

ammonite 3.jpg

ammonite 2.jpg

ammonite 1.jpg

You won't be finding any true ammonites anywhere in Ontario, since they didn't start appearing until the Triassic. The Ammonoidea which existed during the Paleozoic were mostly Goniatites. This looks like Silurian material and the fossil might be from a bivalve.

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

9 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

You won't be finding any true ammonites anywhere in Ontario, since they didn't start appearing until the Triassic. The Ammonoidea which existed during the Paleozoic were mostly Goniatites. This looks like Silurian material and the fossil might be from a bivalve.

Strange... whatever source I remembered reading said Ammonoidea appeared in the Late Silurian:DOH:. Completely wrong, and thank you for correcting me. I will attempt to remove some of this matrix in the next few days to investigate.

• GreatHoatzin changed the title to Possible covered Silurian bivalve?
12 minutes ago, jpc said:

We will need better focused pix, too.  Try low angle lighting from the top left so the texture stands out better.  

Okay, here are some more pics. I've changed the title of the thread also.

b5.jpg

b4.jpg

b3.jpg

b2.jpg

b1.jpg

Maybe a bivalve is covering something  else?

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library