New Year Flower

Shellseeker

Bloomed last night on my back porch.. portents of good things to come.  Happy New Year... JackIMG_8104NewYearsEve.jpg.6abae7764cb1ca280a562ade1911c787.jpg

• Enjoyed 11

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Whoa that's a pretty flower! Any idea what kind it is Jack? Happy new year, and here's to a great year!

• Thank You 1

Fossils? I dig it. :meg:

21 minutes ago, Meganeura said:

Whoa that's a pretty flower! Any idea what kind it is Jack? Happy new year, and here's to a great year!

Night blooming cereus I believe........maybe not. Leaves look wrong.

Edited by Sacha
  • I found this Informative 2
  • Thank You 1

I think they can be quite variable. Previous owner of my Boca Raton house stuck some alongside the oak trees the back yard. Over the decades they climbed the trees and were stealthily perched some 25 feet high. Never paid much attention to the "cactus" up in the tree canopy till the first year when these foot-long squishy rotting "mushroom" looking things were found all over under the oak canopy. Took this dull-witted boy from Chicago to look up on evening and see the huge white flowers for the one night they were open before dropping to the ground in a sodden mess the next morning. Never had any indication that this mass of cereus was blooming as it did it all at night (bat pollinated).

Much nicer at ground level where you can see the spectacular blooms at this time of the season.

Cheers.

-Ken

• Enjoyed 2

Happy New Year, Jack. Thanks for the Good omen.  :)

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

th-2218837198.jpg.2007317bebca5439978090df3b04902d.jpg

10 hours ago, digit said:

Never had any indication that this mass of cereus was blooming as it did it all at night (bat pollinated).

Wow ! I got bats !!! Background.  My wife visited a plant nursery a couple of years back with a good friend.  Both admired a plant Cereus Epiphyllum oxypetalum,but it was very expensive and the clerk was nice enough to remove a few petals and give to each woman.  Her friends plant bloomed the 1st year,  but this one started New Years Eve,  yesterday. 

Mine was a house plant, inside a back screened porch.  Hurricane Ian removed the screening.  Maybe that is how the bats got to the plant?

Ken, is that story about the bats true ?:Confused04:  Happy New Year...

• Enjoyed 3

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Yup. Bats (and large moths like Sphynx) love big white nocturnal flowers. Would be fun to set up a night vision motion activated critter cam and see if you get visitors.

Looks like your plant is another night blooming cactus not too distantly related to the terrestrial night-blooming cereus that I had in Boca. The cactus segments were much more succulent. I think I had either the common Selenicereus grandiflorus or a similar cereus-type cactus.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night-blooming_cereus

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selenicereus_grandiflorus

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epiphyllum_oxypetalum

All drop-dead gorgeous blooms worthy of having some coffee after dinner so you can stay up and watch the show. :)

Cheers.

-Ken

P.S.: Nice to see some normalcy (if just a bit) return to Sanibel Island. ;)

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

Hi,

7 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

th-2218837198.jpg.2007317bebca5439978090df3b04902d.jpg

Very nice ! :wub:

Coco

• Thank You 1

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

@Shellseeker

Very nice. 

At one point I had quite an extensive Epiphyllum collection - lots of different pinks, reds, yellows.

Until a winter a few years ago, my greenhouse heater failed......:s_cry:

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png MotM August 2023 - Eclectic Collector

1 hour ago, Yoda said:

@Shellseeker

Very nice. 

At one point I had quite an extensive Epiphyllum collection - lots of different pinks, reds, yellows.

Until a winter a few years ago, my greenhouse heater failed......:s_cry:

Ah, Yoda... I detect knowledge and experience. On this topic , I have little or none...

Back in the COVID years, my wife and a few friends would visit the few Plant Nurseries that were open.  They felt the social distancing aspects were better in an outdoor nursery. They admired a plant that had lots of blooms on it, and would not make the purchase because it was very expensive.

However, an employee gave them each a couple of cuttings, from which the plant on my back porch is growing...

Without specifying any specific figures,  is it your sense that large Epiphyllum potted plants can be very expensive ? Will it grow well in my back yard?  Thanks for your insights.  Jack

On 1/5/2023 at 2:06 PM, Shellseeker said:

Without specifying any specific figures,  is it your sense that large Epiphyllum potted plants can be very expensive ? Will it grow well in my back yard?  Thanks for your insights.  Jack

Expensive ?? 

Hard to say. I wouldn't have a clue how much this sort of thing would cost in the USA. 

But, I would imagine a bigger pot of them, would be more expensive than just one or two stems. 

Having said that....

You are in Florida ? 

They should do quite well in your climate, and when happy, grow quickly. 

Maybe keep one small plant (easy to take cuttings from a stem) and keep indoors as insurance. But it should do well in a shaded spot outdoors 

I have an extensive cactus, succulent and fern collection. 

In our climate, a heated greenhouse is essential. 

Edited by Yoda
  • Thank You 1

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png MotM August 2023 - Eclectic Collector