Purse state park

Fossil_Adult

This is probably one of my best days out in the Paleocene I’ve had yet. I went to purse state park today and upon arriving, there were at least 6 cars. The beach was flooded with people, and boot prints were all over. It seemed well traversed. The tide was also coming in, with some of the beach inaccessible without wadders or high boots. It was slow going on the first half of the day but the second half couldn’t have been better. I was finding one stunning fossils after the next. This was a pretty good outing, and I will have to return as soon as possible. Here are all the finds:

Everything pictured:

image.thumb.jpg.8ae43be3b75d3405a2dc087d88f0bfe3.jpg

I found a few sand tiger teeth, a back bone of some kind, 2 pretty nice sized Otodus teeth, and a complete ray mouth plate! This was a really good find I am extremely happy about this. Only a foot of beach had been exposed and I was finding a lot on these recently kicked up cobbles. Nobody had been around and the surf must have mixed up the gravel to the top of the beach where it was redeposited. A ton of people were on the beach, and there was a huge tide coming in, and this managed to be one of my best days in the Aquia. 

Closer up:

image.thumb.jpg.1635dd0450155a6733493be66cb44cf1.jpgA really nice little hound sharks tooth. These are my favorite tiny sharks teeth to find here. There is also a couple of sand tigers, a scapula (?) of some kind (crocodile? Turtle?), 2 nice Otodus teeth, and a show stopping ray plate to top it all off. This is my first complete large ray plate. I have a couple other small ones but this one is huge.

Flipped:

image.thumb.jpg.eb04a04604359258b8db562f4abd2cc4.jpg

The ray plate is so cool. I am very happy that I came at high tide I think I will start doing that more often now. Lots of finds to be made! 

Ray Plate and Otodus:

image.thumb.jpg.4353a88f6d129b608e0711c67b75df7e.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.7220a765e8ebf244896af7f4165d9d27.jpg

This was such a good day. I think the Aquia formation might be one of my favorites. I want to go out to Virginia at some point to collect the Aquia it’s been a while and I know there’s good stuff there. Thank you guys for reading this! I really had fun out there with a parking lot full of cars. 

• Enjoyed 9

While I really love sharkteeth, I agree with Jeff. That ray plate is awesome!

• I Agree 2

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

26 minutes ago, Jeffrey P said:

That ray plate is definitely an excellent Aquia find. Big congratulations. 

Thank you!

9 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

While I really love sharkteeth, I agree with Jeff. That ray plate is awesome!

I agree with all of you guys! 

Nice finds. I was in the area (north of Douglas Point) just a few days ago and it was tough going. It had rained prior and the beaches seemed sandier than normal, plus there was very little water movement to stir things up. I managed to find a couple nice teeth but none as large as yours! That ray plate is awesome.

• Enjoyed 1

2 hours ago, dsaavedra said:

Nice finds. I was in the area (north of Douglas Point) just a few days ago and it was tough going. It had rained prior and the beaches seemed sandier than normal, plus there was very little water movement to stir things up. I managed to find a couple nice teeth but none as large as yours! That ray plate is awesome.

Yea the beaches here were sandy as well. It didn't look ripe for collecting at all. But, looks can be always deceiving. I think the only reason I found all of those fossils were because of the high tide stirring things up because otherwise, it would have been too sandy to find anything productive.