Playing in the mud

Shellseeker

When the Peace River is too deep, I sometimes try land hunting and fortunately I have very good fossil friends who make me smile when I see them AND who have the skills. My son and I got together on New Years day and had a great time sloshing in the mud and making a memory. The mud turns to concrete when it dries on equipment and boots and it took more than a few hours to get cleaned up.

A couple of nice finds , one to try and ID. The 1st is a nice little Meg that I sent on to my grandson in Texas. Liked the Olive drab color in the sunshine. 

IMG_8115a.jpg.48a41efabcce811d0ba51c67bc6db0ee.jpg

The 2nd is a small dolphin periotic. This is gorgeous, looking at the unworn tiny lines still visible 3-4 mya later.

IMG_8133e.jpg.0bbdbda7abff2cc4e71df7716a80966c.jpgIMG_8137a.jpg.4a44f52e139d19d8d1045e9a4b7b91c4.jpgIMG_8138e.jpg.d8306e3e4516fa62f72edf9bb130d353.jpgIMG_8139a.jpg.fe03920134b066df683c2ca8da01bc7e.jpg

They say that identification of cetaceans from periotics is a "black art"  and I am not the magician.  I get it wrong more often than not.  But I have seen earbones before even from this locality. 

How about an ocean delphinid, maybe a Bottlenose dolphin , Tursiops .sp like this one , somewhat smaller,  4 years ago.  There are always differences but there are a bunch of similarities also.IMG_3680.jpg.c7024f5af6f1bce9ad0fb674db43a2f0.jpg

About a year ago , @Boesse stunned me by Identifying this one as possibly Beluga Whale (HERE in Florida :default_faint: ).  Could not have been more pleased. Note that it is about the same size as my new find.....

IMG_2371BelugaText.thumb.jpg.03b6bb964b353917468cabff334b004e.jpg

Life is good,  and we each have a whole new year to make great memories.    Jack

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 7
  • I Agree 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Nice find @Shellseeker! Your newest periotic is from a beaked whale, Ziphiidae, and I'm willing to bet it's from Mesoplodon, one of the most speciose ziphiids and common in Pliocene deposits worldwide.

• I found this Informative 5
  • Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1

9 minutes ago, Boesse said:

Nice find @Shellseeker! Your newest periotic is from a beaked whale, Ziphiidae, and I'm willing to bet it's from Mesoplodon, one of the most speciose ziphiids and common in Pliocene deposits worldwide.

Thank you .. :megdance:Many ask what I like most,  and these little periotics have moved into contention with my favorite finds

• I found this Informative 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

So do you find those ear bones frequently, or just periodically?  :ighappy:

• Enjoyed 2

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

6 hours ago, hemipristis said:

So do you find those ear bones frequently, or just periodically?  :ighappy:

I have accumulated a couple of hundred over the last 10-15 years. Initially the Peace River, with a heavy Pleistocene flavor dominated my attention. I would find them occasionally,  maybe once a month and heavily worn. Starting about 6 years ago,  I actively sought diverse search locations earlier than Pleistocene and those areas produce more and better quality cetacean ear bones. For large whales , more Bulla than periotic,  and the reverse for smaller examples.

Here is one from 2017 when I started to develop an interest.

RiverDolphinCompare.jpg.a644bb5bfd7bb3961127f519c432d7e5.jpg

@Boesse has mentioned a number of times that some areas experienced a marine mammal explosion in the Pliocene, and I am hopeful that his new effort on defining these specific fossils will add insights on approximate age of the Cetacean fossils I find in Florida.

I noted that many of fossil acquaintances were Meg_driven and unimpressed with these small odd looking rocks. I have encouraged them to direct any such finds to me, sometimes adding a bounty depending on quality or rarity.

4 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

I have accumulated a couple of hundred over the last 10-15 years. Initially the Peace River, with a heavy Pleistocene flavor dominated my attention. I would find them occasionally,  maybe once a month and heavily worn. Starting about 6 years ago,  I actively sought diverse search locations earlier than Pleistocene and those areas produce more and better quality cetacean ear bones. For large whales , more Bulla than periotic,  and the reverse for smaller examples.

Here is one from 2017 when I started to develop an interest.

RiverDolphinCompare.jpg.a644bb5bfd7bb3961127f519c432d7e5.jpg

@Boesse has mentioned a number of times that some areas experienced a marine mammal explosion in the Pliocene, and I am hopeful that his new effort on defining these specific fossils will add insights on approximate age of the Cetacean fossils I find in Florida.

I noted that many of fossil acquaintances were Meg_driven and unimpressed with these small odd looking rocks. I have encouraged them to direct any such finds to me, sometimes adding a bounty depending on quality or rarity.

Ooh you make a bounty for periotics? I mean I've got a whole bunch already... what's the exchange rate these days?

Fossils? I dig it. :meg:

25 minutes ago, Meganeura said:

Ooh you make a bounty for periotics? I mean I've got a whole bunch already... what's the exchange rate these days?

Well,

Daniel , it 's variable.  Maybe 5 years ago,  I started offering $xx a tooth for complete pre_equus horse.  In the 1st year , one hunting companion came up with about 100 of them,  which greatly exceeding my financial resources and ability/desire to acquire more.  I quickly dropped the bounty to $x and raised the quality requirements..

I attempt to acquire horse teeth or periotics at deep discounts  from people who do not value them, It puts me in the supply/ demand market even when I do not purchase them.

Having said that, I was more then happy to add a more significant bounty for this Beluga fossil...   You know.. Top Quality,  extremely rare...

• Enjoyed 1

26 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

Well,

Daniel , it 's variable.  Maybe 5 years ago,  I started offering $xx a tooth for complete pre_equus horse.  In the 1st year , one hunting companion came up with about 100 of them,  which greatly exceeding my financial resources and ability/desire to acquire more.  I quickly dropped the bounty to $x and raised the quality requirements..

I attempt to acquire horse teeth or periotics at deep discounts  from people who do not value them, It puts me in the supply/ demand market even when I do not purchase them.

Having said that, I was more then happy to add a more significant bounty for this Beluga fossil...   You know.. Top Quality,  extremely rare...

See here I was thinking a fossil-for-fossil trade - I can't value my own fossils, they're worth more to me than money, though I'd certainly be happy to trade for other fossils!

1 hour ago, Meganeura said:

See here I was thinking a fossil-for-fossil trade - I can't value my own fossils, they're worth more to me than money, though I'd certainly be happy to trade for other fossils!

#1 I always OVER_value high quality fossils that I find. The extra value is mostly encompassed in the memory associated with finding it.

#2 I have a cut line on 20% fossils I keep and fossils I do not keep. I donate,or make into presents for relatives and friends. I do not sell or trade them ,  just give them away.  I keep way too many (see #1 above)

In 15 years, I have traded 1 fossil I valued highly  , and somewhat regretted it ... I could no longer pick up the fossil, and recall the finding as clearly...

Different strokes for different folks....

• Enjoyed 1

11 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

#1 I always OVER_value high quality fossils that I find. The extra value is mostly encompassed in the memory associated with finding it.

#2 I have a cut line on 20% fossils I keep and fossils I do not keep. I donate,or make into presents for relatives and friends. I do not sell or trade them ,  just give them away.  I keep way too many (see #1 above)

In 15 years, I have traded 1 fossil I valued highly  , and somewhat regretted it ... I could no longer pick up the fossil, and recall the finding as clearly...

Different strokes for different folks....

That's completely fair - I haven't traded fossils yet either, but given how many I keep, there's plenty I'm willing to give away. Though I've lately stopped collecting things that aren't higher quality. Too little space!