I was looking for some info online and I ran across a link to a recognition of George Martin, one of our members who posts as @dirtdauber.  George is quite active in Alabama and "recently" helped excavate a complete mosasaur in Mississippi.  In 2020 the Alabama Museums Association created an award to recognize avocational paleontologists who have contributed substantially to paleontology in Alabama, including by donating important specimens to scientific collections and research.  In October this award was given to George!

I can recall some amazing specimens George has collected and donated over the years, including and unbelievable Ischyrhiza mira (Cretaceous sawshark) rostrum with many teeth, a shark braincase, a partial turtle, incredible crabs, and as I mentioned already a largely complete mosasaur (nicknamed Moose due to its size), amongst numerous other finds/contributions.  I think it is fantastic that George is getting this recognition for his generosity.  Congratulations George!  :yay-smiley-1: :yay-smiley-1: :yay-smiley-1:

Don

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 4
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 2

Very cool!

I had the pleasure of meeting George at the Thomas Farm fossil site some years back. He had traveled down to experience that volunteer opportunity.

Congratulations!

:yay-smiley-1:

Cheers.

-Ken

• Thank You 1

Awesome!

Congratulations, George.   :JustCuz_clapping:

• Thank You 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Congratulations George! Woohoo!:yay-smiley-1:

• Thank You 1

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

nice work @dirtdauber! I just read the story of Moose, that's the stuff of dreams!

• Thank You 1

“Not only is the universe stranger than we think, it is stranger than we can think” -Werner Heisenberg 

Hi,

Congrats George !

Coco

• Thank You 1

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

On 1/3/2023 at 3:49 PM, FossilDAWG said:

I was looking for some info online and I ran across a link to a recognition of George Martin, one of our members who posts as @dirtdauber.  George is quite active in Alabama and "recently" helped excavate a complete mosasaur in Mississippi.  In 2020 the Alabama Museums Association created an award to recognize avocational paleontologists who have contributed substantially to paleontology in Alabama, including by donating important specimens to scientific collections and research.  In October this award was given to George!

I can recall some amazing specimens George has collected and donated over the years, including and unbelievable Ischyrhiza mira (Cretaceous sawshark) rostrum with many teeth, a shark braincase, a partial turtle, incredible crabs, and as I mentioned already a largely complete mosasaur (nicknamed Moose due to its size), amongst numerous other finds/contributions.  I think it is fantastic that George is getting this recognition for his generosity.  Congratulations George!  :yay-smiley-1: :yay-smiley-1: :yay-smiley-1:

Don

Thanks for posting this, Don. It was a great honor to receive this award and I'm very appreciative. It's always nice to be recognized for what you love to do. On the same day that I received the award, I found out that my friend, Bill Deutsch, dedicated his newly published book "Ancient Life of Alabama, the Fossils, the Finders, and Why It Matters" to me. Quite a day! Again, thank you.  -- George 

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 7
  • Thank You 1

Well golly, George...that is an amazing honor! Congratulations, sir...looking forward to seeing what you spot next.

• Thank You 1

"I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in. Of what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?"  ~Aldo Leopold (1887-1948) 

New Mexico Museum of Natural History Bulletins    

point.thumb.jpg.e8c20b9cd1882c9813380ade830e1f32.jpg research.jpg.932a4c776c9696d3cf6133084c2d9a84.jpg  RPV.jpg.d17a6f3deca931bfdce34e2a5f29511d.jpg  SJB.jpg.f032e0b315b0e335acf103408a762803.jpg  butterfly.jpg.71c7cc456dfbbae76f15995f00b221ff.jpg  Htoad.jpg.3d40423ae4f226cfcc7e0aba3b331565.jpg  library.jpg.56c23fbd183a19af79384c4b8c431757.jpg  OIP.jpg.163d5efffd320f70f956e9a53f9cd7db.jpg

@dirtdauber I just read that you helped find the first example of Ptychodus rugosus in Alabama! As somebody who has that on their short list of dream finds, I'd die to see a picture if you have one convenient :)

Edited by Jared C

“Not only is the universe stranger than we think, it is stranger than we can think” -Werner Heisenberg 

On 1/5/2023 at 10:46 PM, Jared C said:

@dirtdauber I just read that you helped find the first example of Ptychodus rugosus in Alabama! As somebody who has that on their short list of dream finds, I'd die to see a picture if you have one convenient :)

Sorry, but I don't have a pic of that little tooth. I assume that it is embedded in the bowels of the ALMNH.:rolleyes:

• Enjoyed 1