Alexthefossilfinder

Happy new year! I wanted to show some of the highlights of an unexpected discovery from December 31 last year. I was in my garage when I noticed a pail full of rocks so I decided to try my luck and see what I could find. While I expected to find a crinoid stem at best, about 75% of the rocks ended up having something or another in it! 38 rocks in all ended up being relocated to my room, some have just a few brachiopods or whatever, but some I only have the slightest idea what they are, so any suggestions are much appreciated. Unfortunately I have no idea where any of these came from so there's not much info I can give regarding location.

Pic 1 represents some crinoid stems that have really nice depth, better than any others I've gotten.

Pic 2 is a collection of what seems to be crinoids and brachiopods, but more cleaning will be needed.

Pic 3 is where things get interesting. You can see these shapes which kinda resemble leaves or fish. One of them in the middle, even has a line going down the length of it that is pretty even, if that helps with ID.

Pics 4-5 are this really small shape in a collection of crinoid stems that looks to me like some kind of graptolite, though I haven't yet found any genera that match it.

Pics 6-7 have this straight ridge which may just be part of the rock, but at the some time looks a bit like a trace fossil of a worm's burrow or something.

Pic 8 I originally thought was just another crinoid, but there are these marks in the middle which aren't like anything I've ever seen. My sister thinks they're eggs but I'm not quite convinced.

Pics 9-14 has a lot of pictures because I found it hard to get a decent photo because of its size. The thing I'm mainly looking at is the long rectangular thing in the middle, which while I can't find much that resembles it, looks like it might be a eurypterid arm. 

Those were some of the key finds from this pail of rocks, I will of course update if I find anything else noteworthy. In the meantime, I'd appreciate any suggestions on what some of these could be!

IMG_20230103_170729154.jpg

IMG_20230103_170846631.jpg

IMG_20230103_170507934.jpg

1823918561_IMG_20230103_1706252092.jpg

IMG_20230103_115708256.jpg

IMG_20230103_170533702.jpg

IMG_20230103_170554726_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20230103_120249846.jpg

IMG_20230103_115813677.jpg

IMG_20230103_170153566_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230103_170128100_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230103_170224910_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230103_170521604.jpg

To be quite honest, these rocks aren't anything spectacular for your area, from which they appear to originate, seemingly containing mostly bits of shell hash and crinoid bits. There just might be some bryozoan and corals bits in some of them too, but it's hard to tell, since they are mostly extremely eroded. Not seeing anything which could be from eggs or eurypterids. Anyway, if they're from your area, they wouldn't contain such things and without any kind of provenance, it's very difficult to make any proper ids.

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 2

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

48 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

To be quite honest, these rocks aren't anything spectacular for your area, from which they appear to originate, seemingly containing mostly bits of shell hash and crinoid bits. There just might be some bryozoan and corals bits in some of them too, but it's hard to tell, since they are mostly extremely eroded. Not seeing anything which could be from eggs or eurypterids. Anyway, if they're from your area, they wouldn't contain such things and without any kind of provenance, it's very difficult to make any proper ids.

I spoke with my parents since I made this post, they reckon I may have collected these from a camping trip when I was young, so that could put the time period anywhere from Ordovician to Devonian, if that helps at all. The one that's intriguing me the most is pics 9-14. I did some more research and I agree that it doesn't look as much like a eurypterid as I thought unfortunately. That being said, I don't know what else it could be.

54 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

Also I managed to get some clearer shots here.

IMG_20230103_195558678.jpg

IMG_20230103_195704700.jpg

8 hours ago, Alexthefossilfinder said:

Also I managed to get some clearer shots here.

The only things I can clearly make out here are the 2 crinoid columnal sections.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/