Paleo Modeling

32fordboy

I'm not sure if this is the right area for such a post, but I was wondering if anybody here does paleo modeling. Here's one from PaleoCraft. Top notch kit. Not cheap, but definitely worth the cost. The smilodon and dire wolf are getting redone. I tried something different on them and don't like it. Traditional colors are better.

So if anybody else on here has done any model kits, show 'em! I'm probably the odd-man-out, though :blush:

Nick

post-741-12726747771474_thumb.jpg

post-741-12726747879518_thumb.jpg

post-741-12726747988058_thumb.jpg

post-741-12726748105373_thumb.jpg

I used to, I still occasional sculpt a paleo subject once in a while. My latest being an eurypterid out of wood.

I used to, I still occasional sculpt a paleo subject once in a while. My latest being an eurypterid out of wood.

I am sure everyone here would love to see that.

“When you're riding in a time machine way far into the future, don't stick your elbow out the window, or it'll turn into a fossil.” - Jack Handy

I'm not sure if this is the right area for such a post, but I was wondering if anybody here does paleo modeling. Here's one from PaleoCraft. Top notch kit. Not cheap, but definitely worth the cost. The smilodon and dire wolf are getting redone. I tried something different on them and don't like it. Traditional colors are better.

So if anybody else on here has done any model kits, show 'em! I'm probably the odd-man-out, though :blush:

Nick

I've seen some of those models advertised in "Prehistoric Times." Some are really nice but some are nice because they are virtual copies of someone else's art. I think the ones that represent some of the lesser-depicted animals are great even if someone else questions the quality. I've seen the prices but some are certainly worth it. Only recently, I've started to get an idea of how expensive it is just to make a cast.

As for your kit, that is a cool one. When I was a kid, I wanted to see the full variety of Aurora kits in one place but all I saw for sale was the caveman one. I wanted that jungle with the various animals. There was a tar pit model in that series too but it had a rhino in it (rhinos were extinct in North America before Rancho La Brea time).

I think we need to see that eurypterid B)

Yeah, I've also noticed lot of sculpts are portrayals of other 2-d art. Those tend to be commissioned. I'm going to try my hand at Eremotherium in the future. Already tried a brontothere. It turned out okay, but not okay enough to keep :rolleyes:

post-741-12727296083056_thumb.jpg

I think we need to see that eurypterid B)

Yeah, I've also noticed lot of sculpts are portrayals of other 2-d art. Those tend to be commissioned. I'm going to try my hand at Eremotherium in the future. Already tried a brontothere. It turned out okay, but not okay enough to keep :rolleyes:

Why isnt that good enough to keep? It looks awesome!

I am sure everyone here would love to see that.

I need to put another coat of poly on it (or maybe some danish oil..hmmm..)then Ill photograph it.

Let's just say that photo was taken before the bake cycle :unsure:

Yeah, Sculptey tends to crack, especially on a large armature. They make various epoxy sculpting mediums which can fill those cracks nicely. After painting (or casting) no ones the wiser.

• 5 months later...

Take two. Columbian mammoth. I tried to make him more slender than most sculptors do. Unfortunately the details don't show in the photo, but you get the idea.

post-741-061587400 1286035109_thumb.jpg

post-741-030174600 1286035120_thumb.jpg

post-741-023629200 1286035132_thumb.jpg

Nick...... Verrrry Nice !!!.... I like your slant on the mammouth, who said they were 'chunky'.... :)

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Nick...... Verrrry Nice !!!.... I like your slant on the mammouth, who said they were 'chunky'.... :)

"It's this fur! It makes me look ---'poofy'!" (Manny the Mammoth, Ice Age II)

Seriously, though, those are some pretty cool models! I used to paint (and modify) 25 mil fantasy models back in the day, but nothing like that. Keep the pics coming!

Andy (redbrick)

"All living things do one of two things. They either grow, or they die. When they stop growing, they immediately start dying. The mind is also a living thing."

Here's one I sculpted! I made kits too!

Its a scipionyx. Lemme know what you think!

should be showing up in the next Prehistoric Times Magazine! :D

29xhr3s.jpg

Painted by Sara Richard.

2gxnywk.jpg

Original Wax Sculpt

2ebvf9t.jpg

Original Illustration

Please! I would love critiques and feedback. Thank you for looking!

Also!...I'm planning on starting a terror bird sculpture this winter.

I have collected dinosaur models ever since JC was a cowboy.

I have some from the late 50'sup to Tamiya kites

I would like to try making my own, but from I have seen here

I'm not ready to try it , some darn good work people

Excellent work Sara...... Its very detailed..... what medium can you sculpt in that allows such fine details to be added ?

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Excellent work Sara...... Its very detailed..... what medium can you sculpt in that allows such fine details to be added ?

Thank you very much!

I use wax to sculpt in, it's really great. Then I use dental tools, needles, heat pens, to sculpt with. While the wax can be very brittle it holds detail really well. The wax I use is Hasbro's formula (I'm a freelance sculptor for them so I had some extra) but you can get something similar called AZBRO wax. Obviously you can't paint on the wax so you have to ship it out to be cast.

Hope that helps! if you are at all interested in trying to sculpt in wax and have more questions, please contact me at asar@sararichard.com

Thanks!

I've never used wax, but it seems like something I'll have to try one day. So far I've been using Super Sculpey with epoxy-putty (PaleoSculp) for repairs after baking. If I ever get halfway decent at sculpting, I'll try and make some silicon molds. That'll be a learning curve! I've messed around with making silicone molds already with some success, but nothing as complicated as this will require.

yeah I've used silicone a lot at work and it works best when you have a vacuum chamber and pressure pot to get the bubbles out. But I can't afford those and it takes me forever to mold stuff sometimes that it's cheaper for me to send out. (then i have extra time to keep sculpting) Molding is actually my least favorite part. LOL.

Super sculpy is great too. If you use mineral spirits and a small paint brush it helps smooth out the sculpy without leaving impressions like if you smoothed it with your finger. Little trick i learned the other day. ^_^

Time to refine, then it's done! My goal is to get good at this and try to bring some less expensive kits to the market. Hopefully it works out :blush: The next project is Deinotherium.

post-741-083061900 1286503889_thumb.jpg

post-741-090787800 1286503899_thumb.jpg

post-741-068469000 1286503912_thumb.jpg

post-741-017418000 1286503926_thumb.jpg

post-741-045163500 1286503939_thumb.jpg

So, here's the big question: Do either of you ever sell copies of your models "private", or is this strictly by commission?

Andy (redbrick)

"All living things do one of two things. They either grow, or they die. When they stop growing, they immediately start dying. The mind is also a living thing."

Archived