Bertie Lagerstatte Trip

pleecan

Peter.... I dont know how I've missed this thread.... Good you guys met up and Great fossils everyone....... and thanks for sharing your voyage of discovery into microfossils.... Its very easy to see why its addictive...... and I bet theres loads of new species to be found.... :)

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Peter, I only got a couple of pieces of that Chert when I was there, do you find large enough chunks to slab? How about any macro fossils that may weather out on the surface? I just love the porcelain blue color against the sharp white of the fossils.

Hi Dave:

There are veins of chert running through boulders.. I just pick the small chunks up... biggest inclusion is about 1" most are in mm range.... these are high contrast fossils with an exotic blue glass matrix and the fossil are bone white to stand out... In the 6yrs of fossil hunting.... never encounter any close to these exotic fossils... may these can be cabbed into jewlery.....still awaiting feedback from the ROM.

Peter

Peter.... I dont know how I've missed this thread.... Good you guys met up and Great fossils everyone....... and thanks for sharing your voyage of discovery into microfossils.... Its very easy to see why its addictive...... and I bet theres loads of new species to be found.... :)

Hi Steve:

Fossils in chert is just fascinating by the fine detail preservation showing internal details in cross sections... loads of weird wonderful creatures awaiting to be found under the microscope.... here are a few more pics of one particular piece...

post-2446-099365900 1276444708_thumb.jpg

looks ordinary rock till viewed under a scope....

Used a 3.7X Zeiss objective lens direct coupled to DSLR + Helicon Processing

post-2446-023969200 1276444861_thumb.jpg

Rest non helicon images

post-2446-041474100 1276445030_thumb.jpg

post-2446-016063500 1276445074_thumb.jpg

post-2446-072835900 1276445108_thumb.jpg

post-2446-057021600 1276445141_thumb.jpg

post-2446-052361400 1276445204_thumb.jpg

post-2446-046223600 1276445245_thumb.jpg

post-2446-076835200 1276445316_thumb.jpg

post-2446-015854200 1276445384_thumb.jpg

Hey Peter,

those microfossils are strangely familiar but I can't put my finger on it. They do remind me of bryozoans but I can't be certain. They also remind me of the stromatoporoids that occur in the the Devonian of Western Canada. Anyway I will keep scratching my head until someone comes up with a positive ID.

Let us know once you nail the ID!

Dan

It is only a matter of time before these fossils are identified... it would be neat if these were sometime new....

Pl,you have some really interesting fossils/structures going on in those photos. Intriguing! I wish I had something to offer. Regards, Chris

Hi Chris:

I still got one jam pail filled with chert to analyse under the microscope... should keep me busy for quite some time.

Peter

Mystery cliff hanger may be solved....

I got my first real response on the identity of these critters.... JB a paleontologist from Cambridge UK suggested these are finely preserved in oblique sections ...Bryozoans. Still waiting on the ROM to concur.

PL

Edited by pleecan

• 4 weeks later...

Received email today...

Identity of the blue chert fossils confirmed by JW and DR of ROM and concurred by JB at Cambridge UK that the fossils are Bryozoans in origin.

Peter

Edited by pleecan