BentonlWalters

With the start of 2023 I decided to take a break from my long running prep project and prepare out something smaller to start the year off. I collected several of these C. clallamensis shrimp nodules last January and in my previous experience they tend to prep well. This was one that I had split on the beach so I knew that there was a large-ish claw and hoped nodule contained the rest of the arm also. 

The nodule before prep

IMG-6984.thumb.jpg.2d57d89719d37383b1d42a5c81f343e8.jpg

Unfortunately this nodule didn't contain an arm but rather a bunch of fragmentary shell remains and one large disarticulated claw, but the claw tip glued back on nicely and I decided to have a play with shaping the matrix resulting in an interesting bowled out effect. 

IMG-7006.thumb.jpg.90bf37db10d17f586f19ff9a48d0c24a.jpg

IMG-7007.thumb.jpg.0723fd720ae981edf708ca783aaef394.jpg

IMG-7005.thumb.jpg.3f3d4946313baff4712ace553090c9f4.jpg

IMG-7004.thumb.jpg.a2b8666a0b499f429bef2bbc3cfb3ca7.jpg

In total the prep took about 3.5 hours with my Ken Mannion TT pen and I'm quite pleased with how much I managed to undercut the outside of the nodule without breaking it away. While not the best shrimp this was a fun prep to start off the year. 

Thanks for having a look

Edited by BentonlWalters
  • I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 9

I haven't prepped one of these out for decades.  I think after the second one I quite.  Just too difficult to prep out that shrimp hash.  Nice job you have done though.

RB

2 hours ago, RJB said:

I haven't prepped one of these out for decades.  I think after the second one I quite.  Just too difficult to prep out that shrimp hash.  Nice job you have done though.

RB

Thanks, I think I've prepped about 7 of these and I enjoy the challenge. This one was definitely more hash than some of the others. Here's one from last year where the arm is at least semi together, though whatever I do I haven't managed to find the floating pincer by any other method than chipping the tip off. 

IMG-7008.thumb.jpg.eb07bdb4ccbd53fd10abb5929b40d87a.jpg

I've been using them as practice to build confidence for trying to prep one of the tiny (golf ball to baseball) crab nodules I've found, but I don't think I'm there yet. I might also want a smaller tipped pen. 

• Enjoyed 2