Lance Formation skin impression?

Jurassicbro238

Hello! I was wondering if this is a soft tissue impression. The specimen is about 2cm long and I think the rock around it is sandstone. It was found in Niobrara County, Wyoming in the Lance Formation. I would like to know what you all think!

IMG3562153764780126041.thumb.jpg.e4a524d893e37cf9b897055b8f198ed9.jpg

• Enjoyed 2

Nah, sorry. That looks geological in origin. The pattern isn't regular enough for a skin impression.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

This is pretty close.  It looks like some of the skin impressions I have found in the Lance... but just not quite right.  On the other hand, I have not seen any other rocks that look like this in the Lance (in 20 years of collecting there). 

• I found this Informative 1

4 hours ago, jpc said:

This is pretty close.  It looks like some of the skin impressions I have found in the Lance... but just not quite right.  On the other hand, I have not seen any other rocks that look like this in the Lance (in 20 years of collecting there). 

Out of curiosity, what do they look like? Hoping to keep an eye out in the future.

Here is some Lance Fm hadrosaur skin impressions...Tate Museum v1974.  Part and counterpart.

Untitled-3.thumb.jpg.2dbffd6d6ca50bd42015936d63a0493a.jpg

and a close up of the left piece.

Untitled-2.jpg.5e58f79eccba425cd21bb00805912ac2.jpg

• I found this Informative 4
  • Enjoyed 1

yeah, I was tickled when I found it... we were innocently collecting a stupid pile of tendons and that showed  up randomly in the matrix.  The same animal had some bones in a concretion and there is a lot more skin on this piece shown below.  

1235564145_IMG_91451.thumb.jpg.e5d204261423f7fad63853c7a420566e.jpg

Edited by jpc
  • I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 7