I'm both amazed and saddened.

hadrosauridae

I think that I posted some pics last year as I worked my way through a prep of a very large Phareaodus fish from the Green River fm near Kemmerer WY.   Sadly, its a broken slab and I only have part.  I have prepped out to the outer edge but had to stop because that edge is slanted and leaves the fossil layer very thin and fragile.  So I came up with an idea.  I'll fill in a box of the missing area, finish the prep, and then paint on the missing fish area.. That way I can display it and its still visible for what is real and what it would have been.  So, I took a pic and digitally overlaid it onto a complete specimen.  Holy mackerel I'm missing a LOT of this fish!  My putty fill isnt near big enough.  Guess I'll have to add a second pour, but that will have to come after I finish the prep.  This wont fit in my prep box if it gets any larger!

The measurement of my partial fish is over 13 inches long, which means if it hadnt been broken before I found it, it would have been over 20 inches long, maybe even 24.

20230110_102425.jpg

798163223_Phareodus_testisoverlay.png

• Enjoyed 4

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

Wow! The power of technology is quite amazing. It is quite unfortunate that your fish is more incomplete than you thought but I think your photo is really cool. Once you finish prepping, just photoshopping your piece onto the original and displaying the photo is worthwhile in itself. Cool fish 

• Thank You 1