Looks like a beautiful cretodus to me! As for C. crassidens vs C. semiplicatus, I think it comes down to the specific formation and age of rock the tooth came from, semiplicatus being slightly older (although I believe it has been argued that they are really the same). My amateur opinion says this has more of a C. crassidens "look", but don't ask me for my reasoning :P

• I found this Informative 1

If it’s from near the austin chalk / eagle ford contact, I’d label it crassidens. Shame the cusps are broken off but the blade is in great shape. 

Awesome tooth! I would be very hesitant to stake a species, especially C. crassidens. Historically, these gracile teeth from TX have been called "C. crassidens" (cf. Welton & Farish (1993)), but according to a recent publication (Shimada & Everhart (2019)), these are likely a different species, possibly C. houghtonorum

Reconstructed dentitions from associated remains of C. crassidens vs C. houghtonorum:

1870779436_Screenshot2023-01-12at6_17_20PM.thumb.png.0072ccabed86edaee9ab214b6c8eac4e.png

^Amalfitano et al. (2022)

1299142357_Screenshot2023-01-12at6_17_00PM.thumb.png.e5efb9dbef0b331c432c94d64d89a969.png

• I found this Informative 3

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff