Birthday Fossil Hunt

Bjohn170

I decided to call out of work for my birthday and hit the beach to do some hunting. I kayaked out about 2hrs before low tide and had the beach all to myself the whole day. Found three dolphin teeth right after I landed my kayak, good sign for the day. Found some big hemis and a pretty chub on the walk, then when I got to my kayak I noticed the big shark vert partially buried right next to it! Definitely a better way to spend my birthday than working! 

3D10DD49-A2AD-4000-B11F-537A4EAE9F25.jpeg

8B280CA4-1BDF-418C-9D4A-361C31AD5C30.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 11

Oooh that's such a pretty little Chub! Great finds, and happy birthday!

• Thank You 1

Fossils? I dig it. :meg:

12 hours ago, Meganeura said:

Oooh that's such a pretty little Chub! Great finds, and happy birthday!

Thank you! I love the cream color some of the teeth get here.

• Enjoyed 1

21 hours ago, AmmoniteDelight said:

Happy Birthday! What a very fruitful haul of shark teeth! 

:yay-smiley-1:

Thank you! It was a great present to myself!

• 1 month later...

How do y’all hunt Calvert cliffs, I thought it was just one beach? Is it multiple, and what do you mean kayaking? Are there some inaccessible parts that are better since you can only get there by kayak?. What are some good beaches in Calvert cliffs, I keep seeing these amazing finds it’s tempting me to bring my kayak up there and go hunting! 

6 minutes ago, easterncarolinahunta said:

How do y’all hunt Calvert cliffs, I thought it was just one beach? Is it multiple, and what do you mean kayaking? Are there some inaccessible parts that are better since you can only get there by kayak?. What are some good beaches in Calvert cliffs, I keep seeing these amazing finds it’s tempting me to bring my kayak up there and go hunting! 

The Calvert Cliffs are nearly 30 miles long. There are a couple state parks that provide land-based beach access (but no cliff access). However, due to Marylands water rights, any land below the mean high tide line is considered public land. So if you arrive by boat or kayak you can access virtually any spot along the cliffs without trespassing 

• I found this Informative 2

15 minutes ago, dsaavedra said:

The Calvert Cliffs are nearly 30 miles long. There are a couple state parks that provide land-based beach access (but no cliff access). However, due to Marylands water rights, any land below the mean high tide line is considered public land. So if you arrive by boat or kayak you can access virtually any spot along the cliffs without trespassing 

How do you know which beaches are good?

10 minutes ago, easterncarolinahunta said:

How do you know which beaches are good?

Research and personal experience, mostly. All of the beaches along the cliffs have something to offer though. There are 3 distinct formations exposed along the cliffs, and the strata are sloped such that younger formations are exposed as you move further south along the cliffs. So if you're after something in particular you may be able to do some research and find our which formation(s) offer the best shot at finding it. 

• Enjoyed 2