Bone fragments for identification if possible

Jackie Woollam

Hello! I've recently been given a small collection of fossils and bones. They belonged to a collector here in the UK who recently passed away. I have no information about any of them. This group of 5 bone pieces look, to the untrained eye, very similar. They all look quite smooth but with distinct lines that remind me of a tortoise shell.  They all measure between 4 and 6 cm. I'd be grateful for any information. Many thanks!

20230115_154854.jpg

20230115_154933.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

Additional photos would be useful.  ;)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

I agree. All turtle shell.

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

8 minutes ago, Jackie Woollam said:

Is this turtle shell too?

Hi Jackie,

I think so, reminds me of softshell fragments. (they are called that because they have skin instead of scutes on top of their slightly reduced bony armor)

I think old, but how old, I cannot tell. If they are from Brittain, rather older, from warmer times.

One thing I learned here on the forum: in American English, turtle means both the terrestrial and aquatic species, while in British English it tends to mean the marine species?

So the answer "turtle" does not neccessarily contradict your assumption that the first bones are tortoise bones.

@Tidgy's Dad, what do you think?

Best Regards,

J

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

1 hour ago, Jackie Woollam said:

Thank you! Yes you are correct about the turtle/tortoise meanings here in the UK. 

Pleistocene is likely, depending on where they were found. Fossilized for sure.

Fossils? I dig it. :meg:

I also think that these are soft-shelled turtle fragments. 

These look similar to ones I have found in Sheppey and a little like some from Herne Bay, both in Kent and both Eocene in age. 

I don't know of any place in the UK where tortoise fossils are found.   

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png