Giant Dino Gamete fossil

Mike from North Queensland

Well we all know its not a giant dinosaur gamete fossil but I could not resist with the title or eyes in one photo.

Best guess poopy is a coprolite but the extremely smooth surfaces and fact that its so strait make me wonder if this was fossilised when still in the intestinal chamber.

The other option is that it is geologic in origin but the shape.

Found in the toolebuc formation of central Queensland Australian - marine cretaceous formation.

length of specimen 110 mm and 30 mm at widest point.

There are also has striations visible in several sections and there are no inclusions 

Poopy.jpg

692448621_poop1.jpg

1940846380_poop2.jpg

poop 4.jpg

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Giant Dino Gamete fossil

Hello Mike,

thats a beautifully strange thing.

I think maybe burrow cast?

A coprolith in the making would be a cololith, as far as I know the circumstances where intestinal content is preserved but bones and other structures are not are rather special, although not extremely rare. What else is found there?

Best Regards,

J

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

It is pretty, and this was a fine job of marketing, but I see oxidation states in an ironstone concretion. Exactly why should I see more ?

12 hours ago, Mahnmut said:

Hello Mike,

thats a beautifully strange thing.

I think maybe burrow cast?

A coprolith in the making would be a cololith, as far as I know the circumstances where intestinal content is preserved but bones and other structures are not are rather special, although not extremely rare. What else is found there?

Best Regards,

J

After 20 + years of fossicking in the toolbuc formation this is a first both in shape and composition.

The surface was the sea floor at some stage and what is exposed was facing downward.

The usual finds are ichthyosaur, Pliosaur, Kronosarus, Pterosaur, Turtle and Shark teeth

12 hours ago, Rockwood said:

It is pretty, and this was a fine job of marketing, but I see oxidation states in an ironstone concretion. Exactly why should I see more ?

Could well be an ironstone concretion but after 20 years why only one ??

This area of the formation is about to become a vanadium mine so it does ask the question.  

56 minutes ago, Mike from North Queensland said:

Could well be an ironstone concretion but after 20 years why only one ??

How does it being a fossil explain that one ? And why would an animal have so many stomachs ?