Albian of Yaverland, IOW, Micro Teeth Questions

ClearLake

Late last year I received some micro matrix from @Notidanodon that he collected from the Isle of Wright (UK) out of the Greensand Fm. near Yaverland.  This material is Lower Cretaceous, Albian aged.  I have picked through much of it and have some questions on what I have found.  I am not well versed in the fauna from this area and some internet searching has led me to some suggestions, but I'm hoping Will or some of our more experienced collectors from this area such as @Welsh Wizard, @Yoda, @Bobby Rico, and any others that I cant think of off the top of my head, can set me straight.  

#1.  One of the more common (relative term) items I found were these small teeth that belong to some Chondrichthyian, but I am not sure which one.  My first guess, based on what little bit I'm familiar with, was some sort of Sclerorhynchidae but I had some doubts due to a total absence of a root on these, then I saw some Hybodontidae (Lonchidion/Lissodus) were found in this formation and some looked similar but not exactly the same, and then otheers reminded me of some Rajiformes with the small lingual face that you can see on some of them.  So here I am.  They were relatively common so I'm sure someone will recognize them right off, even if the pictures are not ideal.  These are about 2-4 mm at their widest.  There could be several different types in here, so if you can just get me started with a genus or group, or want close-ups of a particular one, just let me know.

yaverland1.thumb.JPG.f3d0b60be2c589d320ed0edf3280cef2.JPG   yaverland2.thumb.JPG.7bad77344dd0d1566108595935ea393e.JPG

#2.  Next up are a bunch of shark teeth partials, most are probably too worn or fragmentary to ID, so that's OK.  I just wanted to show what else was in the sample.  Again, total width of the container is 2cm, so these are all less than 4mm.

yaverland3.thumb.JPG.ac71891764fa111e0dd6121964848f86.JPG

#3.  I believe these to be  a fish scale and found many references to Lepidotes, now known as Sheenstia, from this section and they look somewhat similar, so I just would like to confirm that.  The largest one has a max. dimension of just under 5mm.

yaverland4.thumb.JPG.3d2b59669357b0e4c78df7522764543a.JPG

#4.  These are some other small teeth that may of may not be identifiable.  2-3mm

yaverland5.thumb.JPG.6881933c6685299a6e2b03aa1ac87048.JPG

#5.  Next up is a small jaw fragment.  I know it needs cleaned up some more, but it is somewhat fragile and I didn't want to poke at it too much just yet.  Is this fish, something else, or impossible to say?  Length is about 4mm.

yaverland6.thumb.JPG.214748f0ab5235f48e4f1eb1922bb012.JPG  yaverland7.thumb.JPG.8332640b170c41d7adcce58c040f1238.JPG

#6.  And finally, some fish vertebrae.  Again, no ID requested, just wanted to show what else was in the mix.  I know reptiles and amphibians are found in this formation, I'm not sure I'm qualified to try and separate those out, especially since may of these are highly phosphatized (is that a word?).

yaverland8.thumb.JPG.4898730fdbcbe30ce4e614cdc8caab32.JPG

Thanks for looking and for any advice that can be offered.  And thanks again to Will, for the interesting matrix.

Mike

• Enjoyed 4

Sorry I can’t really help. Worth looking for the book 

English Wealden Fossils

but you may struggle to get a copy.

• Thank You 1

Thanks for the comments and suggestions, research continues but I have certainly narrowed down my options for the small teeth shown in #1 based on your comments.

@Chimera, thank you for those two references, I have skimmed them so far but will digest more thoroughly.  The first has a nice faunal list that should be helpful and the second goes along with the publication by Rees and Underwood (2002) on the hybodonts that I found to be very helpful.  Lots of movement between genera over the years, but using the terminology of Rees and Underwood, I think I have narrowed mine down to either Lissodus  levis (Woodward 1887) or Vectiselachos ornatus (Woodward 1889) but there are differences from each of those options so I'm just trying to understand what features are important and what am I missing.  I also have to confirm the age, the note I received with them clearly says Albian and greensand, so I assumed it was the Upper Greensand of IOW and not the Lower Greensand, which is indeed Aptian in age.  I'll double check with Will.

Edit: Will has clarified it for me, and my assumption was wrong.  These fossils are likely from the Atherfield Clay (or very near it)  and therefore early Aptian in age.

Edited by ClearLake
New information

Great finds ;) @ClearLake I’m glad you found so many good ones, I used the publication provided by @Al Dente as these lenses seem to appear in the ather field clay right above the vectis fm and vectiselachos fits many of the teeth very well, I narrowed it down to V.ornatus, Lonchidion breve and Lonchidion spp, but you may be able to identify more Lonchidion species as there are several morphologies, I will photograph mine at some point as well ;) 

• Thank You 1