Dimorphodon skeleton by Lormouth

Mahnmut

Hello together,

I am proud to present another one of @lormouths beautiful skeletons I have the pleasure to assemble.

At first I intended to build it in the nice quadrupedal position from "Dragons of the air" 1901,

but it seems that the shoulder girdle doesnt allow it, especially the right arm that is held closely to the torso. Of course it could be depending on cartilage, but atl east looking at Laurents detailed replica bones, it looks wrong to put it in that pose.

I missed the opportunity to take a foto of the neatly packed set of bones I found in my christmas parcel. Thanks again Laurent!

Dimorphodon_macronyx.jpg

CIMG9862.JPG

CIMG9863.JPG

• Enjoyed 6

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

This looks like a fun project! Here's a blog post by pterosaur scholar Mark Witton that talks about early pterosaur locomotion, including a mention of Dimorphodon's shoulder girdle. :) https://markwitton-com.blogspot.com/2015/06/new-paper-walking-with-early-pterosaurs.html

:star:

Wishing you a merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah, and a joyful holiday season!

🎄   🕎   🎁

Thanks Maniraptora,

thats a very good source for my question! I have read a lot of Mark Wittons blog entries and his Pterosaur book aswell, still that article somehow dropped through my net until now.

I will try to take some fotos while experimenting with the pose, which is hard because it needs more than two hands, something that is in conflict with my shoulder girdle but can be alleviated by technical or social means.

There is only one aspect of the 1901 pose that seems improbable to me at the moment, thats the right humerus that is held close to the thorax and far back. 

Best Regards,

J

• Enjoyed 1

Thomas Henry Huxley

6 hours ago, Mahnmut said:

I will try to take some fotos while experimenting with the pose, which is hard because it needs more than two hands, something that is in conflict with my shoulder girdle but can be alleviated by technical or social means.

Haha! I look forward to seeing how the project comes along. :D

🎄   🕎   🎁

Hi Jan!

I'am delighted to see the progress of the work :) . About the articulation scapula/caracoid and humerus, this parts have to be modified to adapt with the posture... I wasn't sure at all of the right morphology despite all the documentation I had about the right angle of scapula/caracoid bones... I finaly choose to drill a little it to adapt for a posture I found in the "Princeton field guide to Pterosaurs " book .

princtone field guide dimorphodon.jpg

• I found this Informative 3
  • Thank You 1

Ahh, there goes my hope of writing a thesis about the implications of your reconstruction...

will take some time to find a good pose, but having fun all the while!

Salut,

J

• Thank You 1

Thomas Henry Huxley

• 3 weeks later...

Found a solution for the 2-hands-problem.

Experimenting with quadrupedal positions, here you see where the shoulder does not fit yet.

Best Regards,

J

dimo1.jpg

dimo2.jpg

dimo3.jpg

• Enjoyed 4

Thomas Henry Huxley

Hi Laurent, thanks for the additional info!

Ok, according to this graphic maybe your supraglenoidal buttress sb is a little bit to convex (nothing one should say to ones significant other) , still, before I begin to change that I will try out different poses. Until now I am sure much more meticulous recherche has been spent on your osteology than on my pose.

Best Regards,

J

• Enjoyed 1

Thomas Henry Huxley

• 2 months later...

Hello again!

sometimes its good to let a problem rest for a while (problem meaning a hobby-related challenge in this case).

Today at work while talking to a patient with shoulder problems it occured to me that the scapula possesses not one articulation but two, the one with the thorax unique in that it is the only articulation where the bone is held only by muscle.

And yet that was the connection I fixed rigidly in my model before even thinking about the pose, just in order to have a stable thorax.

Just turning the scapiulae some degrees "shoulder out/back/down, less parallel solved much of my former impossibilities, at the cost of breaking one rib that I had glued prematurely to the scapula. But that can be fixed.

Having the back end of the scapulae closer to the center line seems plausible, as more specialized species of Pterosaur even have a bony articulation between notarium and scapula.

So, my basic pose is about ready, next time I can proceed with all the small bones...

Best Regards,

J

CIMG0373a.JPG

CIMG0377a.JPG

• Enjoyed 2

Thomas Henry Huxley

• 2 weeks later...

The pose is looking really nice. It's rather convincingly "alive" for something that's just a skeleton! And a bonus is we all get to learn the answers to questions about shoulder articulation that we wouldn't have known how to... articulate.

• Enjoyed 1

🎄   🕎   🎁

• 4 weeks later...

@lormouth I found a log to sit on:

dimorphodon2.JPG

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 4

Thomas Henry Huxley

Oh wow! That looks really good, Jan! Well done! :default_clap2:

• Thank You 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

Well, another fossil forum joint venture completed thanks to @lormouth!

The log is of course as jurassic as I am, but at least its aesthetically pleasing to my eye. I pondered carving something less angiosperm-looking, but went for what I now see as natural habitat for a resurrected dead pterosaur.

After cursingly applying the last free ribs I once more questioned if Laurent really is a human being given the fact that his lifesize Anurognathus fits into the head of this magnificient beast here and I have no idea whatsoever how on earth I am going to assemble it.

But for now, I proudly present Dimorphodon macronyx!

DIMO6.JPG

DIMO7.JPG

DIMO5.JPG

DIMO4.JPG

DIMO3.JPG

• Enjoyed 2

Thomas Henry Huxley

Looking at the third pic I think the small fingers are further out than they could have been in life.

Thomas Henry Huxley

It came out fantastic!:default_clap2:The log adds a nice effect, even if it's not quite ancient... neither are houses or shelves, after all, but we do have to display fossils and replicas somewhere. :P

• Thank You 1

🎄   🕎   🎁

On 6/11/2023 at 9:55 PM, Mahnmut said:

"cursingly"

I only wanted to make it clear that I do very much enjoy assembling Laurents great models. That I sometimes curse when my clumsy fingers reach their limits does not change that at all!

I am also looking forward to the challenge of assembling the minuscule Anurognathus, I just do not know If I will succeed, but thats in teh nature of a challenge.  And I have the highest respect for Laurents craftmanship, sorry if my joking last entry may not have transported that respect.

Best Regards,

J

Thomas Henry Huxley

• 6 months later...

Very nice!

I prefer the fresh-bone look of Laurents model to the "gnarly fossil"- look, but that looks like a good representation to print at home!

Not sure though about anatomical detail, especially in the pelvis.

Best regards,

J

• Thank You 1

Thomas Henry Huxley

Well I've had a paleontholigst look at it by the name of Koen Stein and he told me it was all very correct even some museums have  put it on display If I've read it right 

5 hours ago, Kevin marks said:

Well I've had a paleontholigst look at it by the name of Koen Stein and he told me it was all very correct even some museums have  put it on display If I've read it right 

Ok, when saying not sure I really meant it, not to say I was in much doubt, just not able to tell from the pics about the detail. Cannot see a prepubis in that pic, that does not mean it is not there.

Great model anyway! Cheers from one Dimorphodon- enthusiast to another!

J

Thomas Henry Huxley