Looking for advice on where to take our son this year.

itskeeton

My family has been vacationing at Myrtle Beach for several years now and my son has really got into hunting for shark teeth. He's 12 and has ASD which means when he finds something he really likes and doesn't overwhelm him, it's a win for everyone. We watch a lot of the Facebook groups and the finds that some of those people show off. Our greatest find thus far are 2 GW particle tooth fossils. Lots and Lots of smaller teeth, I think we took home about a hundred last trip. He has always dreamed of finding a megalodon tooth. we have several that we've bought in stores down and around there

Part of me says, just wondering down to the beach whenever we want and doing it how we want is a bit of the relaxing and fun that he has in it. Another part of me thinks it would be really cool to take him to some of the river banks or on one of the dig excursions. I really don't want to pay a bundle or travel too far away from Myrtle because if he is having a rough day , no matter how bad he wants to do it, he will still shut down and make it next to impossible to get him to participate. All of this would be for him, so trying to force him into it wouldn't be any fun for him at all.

I've also see the videos of the pieces of the whales and other big animals people have found and wonder if we should even be looking for teeth or if we could go somewhere to look for bigger bones?

Curious if there's anyone else out there in any similar situation  and what your thoughts are or what you might suggest? I'm willing to do just about anything in the world to make my boy happy.

Any thoughts or comments are very welcome

shark.jpg

I don't know what excursion companies there are in the Myrtle Beach area, but I'm sure there are some.  However, many are what I would call expensive for what they are, and you usually have to book in advance, which can be an issue if your son is not feeling it when the day rolls around.  I know in the Charleston area, you can find stuff anywhere from chartering a boat to an island, kayaking to islands, creek hunts, land site digs, and even just "guided" tours on the public beach (you will be with the public, but they take you to a part of the beach that has potential for more and/or better finds).  

If you watch videos or look at posts of other people's great finds and expect to do as well in one day or even one trip, you will likely be disappointed.  You can never predict what the beach is going to have in store for you that day.  I've had days where I found 100 teeth and other days where I found 0 in the same "good" spot that the excursions take you to, and at the same time in the tide cycle as before.  In dozens of beach trips, we have never found a good big tooth.  But, then someone will post a meg they found the same day at the same beach.  :headscratch:

While I haven't wanted to spend the money on an excursion, I've heard that the trips out to islands are good, as there are a lot fewer people that get out to these sites.  I have seen some really good results from some of the creek digs, but I don't trust that all of these outfits are abiding by the law (some trespassing and some using tools or hunting methods that are not allowed).  But, that is just speculation from some things I've seen and heard in the Summerville area.  That doesn't mean it's the case there.  Again, you will likely have to book in advance and follow their time-table, so only you can decide if that will work for your son. 

I will say that in 9 months of creek hunting on my own, I have yet to find a nice meg.  I have one very large angy that's not in the best condition. For each of the videos and pictures of great finds that you see, you aren't seeing the hundreds of other people who hunted that day and didn't score a big tooth.  

I understand the dilemma.  I'm tired of not finding bigger, better stuff, but I don't know that it's worth the expense and hassle of an excursion.  I also have health issues, so some of them are way too physical (digging for hours) or I'm worried that I will book it and then not be healthy enough to go when the day comes.  I think only you can really decide what is "worth it" and will be good for your son.  I think sometimes the adults care more about finding the big teeth than the kids do.  :D

Just my two cents.  And I've heard that Cherry Grove is a good place to hunt near Myrtle Beach, but I haven't gotten to go yet.  

Edited by Fin Lover
added Cherry Grove
  • Enjoyed 1

Fin Lover

image.png.e69a5608098eeb4cd7d1fc5feb4dad1e.png image.png.e6c66193c1b85b1b775526eb958f72df.png image.png.65903ff624a908a6c80f4d36d6ff8260.png

image.png.7cefa5ccc279142681efa4b7984dc6cb.png

My favorite things about fossil hunting: getting out of my own head, getting into nature and, if I’m lucky, finding some cool souvenirs.

• 4 weeks later...

Holden Beach, NC is about an hour away from Myrtle. It went through a beach renourishment last year. Lots of fossils and shark teeth being found.  We went last October and found so many shark teeth and sea biscuits. Well worth the drive.