Alston Gee

Can anyone help me identify whether the teeth from photos 1&2 belong to Liopleurodon forax and the tooth from photo 3 is Pliosaurus Kevani? These teeth were found on Swindon, UK

214B6A28-10B1-4355-95A8-FDEB25064185.jpeg

F95B4846-2D3F-4E58-9A7D-A36B9ED8D4C3.jpeg

9BBADD8A-FFAE-4C5A-8754-BAB0E4069F31.jpeg

• Enjoyed 1

First of all, awesome teeth! Very rare, moreover, to have access to two at the same time! Pliosaur teeth hardly ever hit the market these days (unless Moroccan)...! :notworthy:

Unfortunately, I don't really have to much knowledge on the local geology of Swindon, but looking at the exposures in Wiltshire mentioned on the UKGE-website, it seems they range in age from Oxfordian to Kimmeridgian (possibly people like @paulgdls and @DE&i would be able to refine this information as pertains to Swindon itself). This would mean that Liopleurodon sp. and Pliosaurus sp. both would indeed be valid options, for the two teeth are unmistakably pliosaur.

The tooth in photograph 3, however, appears too rounded for even Pliosaurus kevani (which is supposed to have subtrihedral teeth), and has vermiculated enamel, something teeth attributed to Pliosaurus spp., to the best of my knowledge, don't have. Thus, for its pronounced striae, I'd call the second tooth Liopleurodon ferox.

The first tooth is more difficult to identify, as neither the full shape of the tooth nor the nature of its striations is well illustrated. However, with the cross-section being again round, there being indications of vermiculated enamel, and considering the robustness of the tooth as well as labial side apparently devoid of ornamentation (thereby ruling out Peloneustes philarchus, which could otherwise have been an option, seeing as striae seem primarily focussed around the crown base), I'd say this is again Liopleurodon sp.. As the striae are rather less pronounced in this specimen, however, it may be possible that this tooth comes from L. pachydeirus, but I'd still consider L. ferox more likely.

Hope this helps :)

P.s.: see the below post for an identification guide to help you quickly identify pliosaur teeth:

Edited by pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon
  • I found this Informative 4
  • I Agree 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

This is a trihedral tooth from a Kimmeridgian pliosaur. I know the location and its from the South Coast of England. Is this on sale? Seems someone may be telling porkies ...

Paul

• I found this Informative 1