How composite is this composite mosasaurus skull?

LordWampa

Hello,

This is a composite mosasaurus skull. As I can't afford the real deal, I normally look into this seminice pieces to try to find one that it's not a mess.

I saw this one where the seller states that som teeth has been replaced (totally expected) and that has some repairs an reconstructions.

At least for me comparing it to some other composite mosasaur skulls where all the bones are a mess, this seems more beautifully composited with a big part of the bones where they should be. 

Do you see some big red flags of it being a mess in reality with lots of more random bones than expected? What kind of mosasaur species it could be?

Thanks!

b985e753-7872-46a6-834d-474ba732d820.thumb.jpg.c53efc5198a2c502813fa3048ef23eab.jpg3cc4d880-3dce-418f-9880-ee7c553cacef.thumb.jpg.55d82ef54f64ed430bb7107248626e30.jpg

4ce9f944-d5dc-4ce1-a11a-6e6768ea8e06.thumb.jpg.0502b5fa071c7fe2a455890b15f92055.jpg

e2dd09be-5a7d-4a32-85d1-365024217e57.thumb.jpg.13ff9b46ab7bcde73ffabeac142f0800.jpgfe873690-d8a3-4e39-a629-3a3559c277b9.thumb.jpg.bc5c86348f641e3ddf2a6f34c81e7c53.jpg

If you buy that, you are buying a piece of "art" because its not a "fossil".  Honestly, I look at those pics and all I can see is what a mess this is.  At the very best, its composited from multiple skulls, but knowing the nature of the fake fossil industry, this is likely containing non-mosasaur elements, and likely non fossil elements as well.  It all cut up and glued together in to the shape of a skull.  How much is real?  How much is composite, and how much is fake can only be guessed at without having it in hand.

My personal opinion is dont buy this.  It only helps promote continuing the fossil forgery market. 

Edited by hadrosauridae
  • I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

Purchases are a subjective endeavor.  This is not a mosasaur skull.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Yes, you are right....

I normally like fossils because i like to think of it belonging to something that lived milions of years ago. 

I you are right that this could be a composite of whatever.

I was obviously blinded by the possibility of owning a skull without paying museum price. I'lI will not buy it!  Thanks!

24 minutes ago, LordWampa said:

I was obviously blinded by the possibility of owning a skull without paying museum price

No miracles!

If you want a Ferrari, then you gotta pay for a Ferrari

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1

27 minutes ago, caterpillar said:

No miracles!

If you want a Ferrari, then you gotta pay for a Ferrari

Yes, but i was hoping for something similar to of you want a perfect megalodon tooth that is huge you will have to pay a lot of money. But you can find a smaller megalodon tooth that is beautiful of a huge megalodon tooth that is in bad shape for less money and will still be a megalodon tooth.