Shark tooth identifying

SandiTN

2, 4, 7, 9, 13, 14, 16 & 17 look like types of carcharhinus to me (I could be wrong, the pic is kind of dark).

1 & 10 - sand tigers

15 - P. contortus

Hopefully, others will correct me where I'm wrong.  :)

Edited by Fin Lover

Fin Lover

image.png.e69a5608098eeb4cd7d1fc5feb4dad1e.png image.png.e6c66193c1b85b1b775526eb958f72df.png image.png.65903ff624a908a6c80f4d36d6ff8260.png

image.png.7cefa5ccc279142681efa4b7984dc6cb.png

My favorite things about fossil hunting: getting out of my own head, getting into nature and, if I’m lucky, finding some cool souvenirs.

Echoing what @Fin Lover said - but also 3 & 15 are tigers - 3 specifically is Galeocerdo cuvier, 15 is Physagoleous contortus. 5 looks to be Carcharodon hastalis - AKA the Mako shark.

Oh, and 13 is probably a Lemon shark, not carcharhinus.

Edited by Meganeura

Fossils? I dig it. :meg:

1 minute ago, SandiTN said:

THANK YOU! 

Now for the dumb question, what is carcharhinus?

Carcharhinus is a genus of sharks including sharks like the Dusky, Bull, Reef, Bronze, and many others. They're all incredibly similar in shape and size so are very hard to distinguish.

3 minutes ago, Meganeura said:

Echoing what @Fin Lover said - but also 3 & 15 are tigers - 3 specifically is Galeocerdo cuvier, 15 is Physagoleous contortus. 5 looks to be Carcharodon hastalis - AKA the Mako shark.

I posted the numbers UNDER the teeth. Not on top. Are you sure of the ID?

4 minutes ago, Meganeura said:

10 minutes ago, Fin Lover said:

2, 4, 7, 9, 13, 14, 16 & 17 look like types of carcharhinus to me (I could be wrong, the pic is kind of dark).

1 & 10 - sand tigers

15 - P. contortus

Hopefully, others will correct me where I'm wrong.  :)

I'M I'm sorry but I don't know the names you're using. I'm new to this and need names in "Layman's terms" I guess. Lol

Just now, SandiTN said:

I posted the numbers UNDER the teeth. Not on top. Are you sure of the ID?

I'M I'm sorry but I don't know the names you're using. I'm new to this and need names in "Layman's terms" I guess. Lol

Yes - I'm sure on the IDs. P. Contortus is called the "Tiger-like" shark, as it's shaped similar to a tiger shark tooth but is a different genus. Galeocerdo is the genus for tiger sharks, cuvier is the common tiger shark - same one that's still around today. 

@Meganeura, I think I added a couple more while you were typing. I agree on #3, as I was looking up the name of it when you posted.  :)

Fin Lover

image.png.e69a5608098eeb4cd7d1fc5feb4dad1e.png image.png.e6c66193c1b85b1b775526eb958f72df.png image.png.65903ff624a908a6c80f4d36d6ff8260.png

My favorite things about fossil hunting: getting out of my own head, getting into nature and, if I’m lucky, finding some cool souvenirs.

Just now, Meganeura said:

Yes - I'm sure on the IDs. P. Contortus is called the "Tiger-like" shark, as it's shaped similar to a tiger shark tooth but is a different genus. Galeocerdo is the genus for tiger sharks, cuvier is the common tiger shark - same one that's still around today. 

Thank you so much! Maybe I will learn something. I love hunting for teeth when I go to the beach

• Enjoyed 1

Sandi, for the most part, these ARE the layman's terms.  :D

• I Agree 1

Fin Lover

Just now, Fin Lover said:

@Meganeura, I think I added a couple more while you were typing. I agree on #3, as I was looking up the name of it when you posted.  :)

I see that! Also gonna posit that #11 is an Angy - it's got the Otodus root for sure. What's your take?

@SandiTN - #11 looks to be from the Otodus genus, most likely Otodus angustidens - one of the ancestors to the Megalodon. Are these South Carolina finds? Florida? North Carolina? it'll help narrow down the possibilities. 

Thanks @Meganeura, I didn't mean to include #13 as carcharhinus.  I agree with lemon.

Fin Lover

1 minute ago, Fin Lover said:

Sandi, for the most part, these ARE the layman's terms.  :D

Aww laws...I'm in trouble! Lol

1 minute ago, Meganeura said:

I see that! Also gonna posit that #11 is an Angy - it's got the Otodus root for sure. What's your take?

@SandiTN - #11 looks to be from the Otodus genus, most likely Otodus angustidens - one of the ancestors to the Megalodon. Are these South Carolina finds? Florida? North Carolina? it'll help narrow down the possibilities. 

These Are Georgia finds. All but number 1, that was Alabama

Just now, SandiTN said:

Aww laws...I'm in trouble! Lol

Don't worry - you'll learn em. They're really just scientific names for the animals - for example, the Great White shark's scientific name is Carcharodon carcharias. Carcharodon is the genus (Shared with other sharks, like Carcharodon hastalis - #5 in your picture), while carcharias is the species. C. hastalis is technically called the "Giant White" among other names.

1 minute ago, SandiTN said:

These Are Georgia finds. All but number 1, that was Alabama

Okay - then it could be a Meg, could be a Angy. I'm going to say Angy due to the fact that the root extends past the blade and looks like it could've had cusps - which Megs do not have.

I had to post and then add to it to be able to answer before @Meganeura could swoop in, and he still beat me on several responses. :heartylaugh:

Not sure on #11, as I don't see any cusps.  Maybe a closer, better lit picture would help.

Fin Lover

Just now, Meganeura said:

Okay - then it could be a Meg, could be a Angy. I'm going to say Angy due to the fact that the root extends past the blade and looks like it could've had cusps - which Megs do not have.

For my own learning, what makes you say between Meg, and Angy, and not Chub?

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

Again with the posts while I am still trying to answer previous questions.  I need to learn to type faster on my phone.  :D

• Enjoyed 1

Fin Lover

2 minutes ago, Meganeura said:

Don't worry - you'll learn em. They're really just scientific names for the animals - for example, the Great White shark's scientific name is Carcharodon carcharias. Carcharodon is the genus (Shared with other sharks, like Carcharodon hastalis - #5 in your picture), while carcharias is the species. C. hastalis is technically called the "Giant White" among other names.

Soooo...#5is a Great White????

Just now, Top Trilo said:

I'm no expert - I've only found 1 chub - but chubs seem to have a shape much more similar to Megs, like the root doesn't leave room for cusps necessarily, they kinda just exist there, while Angys have roots that extend past that main blade.

• I found this Informative 1

Just now, SandiTN said:

Soooo...#5is a Great White????

Giant White. Ancestor to the Great White. #12 may be a Great White though - need better pictures to tell.

@SandiTN can you take better pics of #11, #12, and #6? Both sides, with bright light.

I Will try to get better pics in a bit. 

You guys Have been more helpful in the last 15 minutes than I've gotten in a year! 

• Enjoyed 1

3 minutes ago, Top Trilo said:

For example - 
Chub:
Peru Chubutensis Teeth: BuriedTreasureFossils

Cusps just come out of the blade here, you could easily smooth over them with wear.

Angy:
MONSTER Sized Gem Angustidens [GiantAngustidens] : Fossils ...

Remove the cusps, and you have a root that extends out past the blade.