Quick Calvert Trip

Bjohn170

Got out early to kayak the cliffs yesterday and was met with almost immediate regret. The water was far rougher and a bit higher than I was expecting. I drove and hour and a half to get to the boat launch though so I wasn’t just gonna turn around. My kayak was getting tossed around enough to make me nervous but the idiot I am I powered through. Getting to the beach I was met with another obstacle, seems a lot of sand had been kicked up on the beach so there was very little shell line. Only hunting for about 2 hours before the rain was supposed to start; I got a couple nice finds with the little Meg/Chub? and epiphysis disk making the trip worth it!

76965C51-7ADF-49BC-A1E9-6A80E83503C8.jpeg

• Enjoyed 15

11 minutes ago, Bjohn170 said:

My kayak was getting tossed around enough to make me nervous but the idiot I am I powered through.

You are a crazy guy indeed ;).

Franz Bernhard

• Enjoyed 1

Wow the lengths we go to for a good find eh! 

Great finds. Sounds like you've learned when it might be a bit too rough now haha.

It's always worth it when you find a cracker like that. Well done

• Enjoyed 1

1 hour ago, ShinySpirals said:

Wow the lengths we go to for a good find eh! 

Great finds. Sounds like you've learned when it might be a bit too rough now haha.

It's always worth it when you find a cracker like that. Well done

Yeah I got to double check conditions before I launch, or need a plan B for when it’s too rough to kayak. But I’m still glad I went!

The important part is you are here to write about the trip, not sure I would have done it.

That said, very nice finds, thank you for sharing.

• Enjoyed 1

I was on the beach the day before you, I also arrived by kayak. I found a lot of nice hemis, some tiny broken megs, and the coolest finds of the day were a nice croc tooth and a sperm whale tooth!

I am an avid kayaker on the Chesapeake Bay, I kayak 12 months out of the year. I use Windfinder.com to look at predicted wind conditions before every kayaking trip. There are two forecast models - regular "forecast" and "super forecast". The super forecast model does not predict as far in advance as the other model, but makes predictions at 1hr time increments. I always check both models - if they are more-or-less in agreement then I can be pretty sure what the conditions will be like. Sometimes they are quite different and then it's a crapshoot what the actual conditions will be like.

For kayaking along the cliffs, wind direction is just as, if not more important than speed. The cliffs can keep you pretty sheltered from a west wind, but if the winds come from the east or south you're in for a rough time.

Another key piece of safety gear for winter kayaking (besides a PFD which you should wear year-round!) is a dry suit with plenty of warm layers underneath. If you capsize into 40 degree water without one you will have a very bad time, and the clock will be ticking before you lose useful motor control and the threat of hypothermia begins.

• Enjoyed 2

2 hours ago, dsaavedra said:

I was on the beach the day before you, I also arrived by kayak. I found a lot of nice hemis, some tiny broken megs, and the coolest finds of the day were a nice croc tooth and a sperm whale tooth!

I am an avid kayaker on the Chesapeake Bay, I kayak 12 months out of the year. I use Windfinder.com to look at predicted wind conditions before every kayaking trip. There are two forecast models - regular "forecast" and "super forecast". The super forecast model does not predict as far in advance as the other model, but makes predictions at 1hr time increments. I always check both models - if they are more-or-less in agreement then I can be pretty sure what the conditions will be like. Sometimes they are quite different and then it's a crapshoot what the actual conditions will be like.

For kayaking along the cliffs, wind direction is just as, if not more important than speed. The cliffs can keep you pretty sheltered from a west wind, but if the winds come from the east or south you're in for a rough time.

Another key piece of safety gear for winter kayaking (besides a PFD which you should wear year-round!) is a dry suit with plenty of warm layers underneath. If you capsize into 40 degree water without one you will have a very bad time, and the clock will be ticking before you lose useful motor control and the threat of hypothermia begins.

Wow I’d love to see the croc and whale tooth! And thanks I’ll be sure to give that site a look next time I’m going out. I wear a dry suit during winter and I keep my pfd on the kayak (I should probably be wearing it) but I still I hope I never get dumped in the bay during winter!