Sharks, Fish, Rays From Leisey Shell Pit

Jurassicz1

Hello! I have a question, I have become very interested in the Lower Pleistocene site of Leisey Shell Pit in Florida.

I have read that a few species of sharks, bony fish and even rays are present there. Does anyone in the forum actually have any of these in their collections? If so be sure to post them as I have never seen any! 

Cheers. Adriano.

33 minutes ago, Al Dente said:

Here's a list of sharks and rays from the site. Some are reworked from older deposits.

Thanks for the good information! Are these fossils sold on the market or are they only ever in museums?

39 minutes ago, Jurassicz1 said:

Thanks for the good information! Are these fossils sold on the market or are they only ever in museums?

Leisey shell pit stuff is rarely sold. It IS sold though.

Fossils? I dig it. :meg:

7 hours ago, Meganeura said:

@digit I feel like you're most likely to be able to fulfill this request

Was before my time--nothing in my collection.

There may be some specimens with imagery in the FLMNH collection. You can do a search here:

https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/vertpaleo-search/

You can put in Leisey in the site field (there are several pits within this site to choose from. Toward the top you can select "Only Results With Images".

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1

7 hours ago, digit said:

Was before my time--nothing in my collection.

There may be some specimens with imagery in the FLMNH collection. You can do a search here:

https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/vertpaleo-search/

You can put in Leisey in the site field (there are several pits within this site to choose from. Toward the top you can select "Only Results With Images".

Cheers.

-Ken

Oh I was referring to the FLMNH specimens! Figured you might be able to share input on that.

• I found this Informative 1

Fossils? I dig it. :meg:

10 hours ago, MarcoSr said:

Adriano

You can contact Frank Garcia through his South Dakota Museum.  He should be able to help you.  PM sent.

Marco Sr.

Alright will do! I have heard alot of great things about him!

On 1/25/2023 at 12:38 AM, Jurassicz1 said:

Hello! I have a question, I have become very interested in the Lower Pleistocene site of Leisey Shell Pit in Florida.

I have read that a few species of sharks, bony fish and even rays are present there. Does anyone in the forum actually have any of these in their collections? If so be sure to post them as I have never seen any! 

Cheers. Adriano.

I have a few gastropods from there, but they are currently packed up, in storage.  I'm going to be moving in a bit.  I'm sorry!

Some decades back I had access to several people who had collected mollusks from there and were selling.  I wish that I knew then what I knew now....

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

On 1/24/2023 at 9:55 PM, Meganeura said:

Leisey shell pit stuff is rarely sold. It IS sold though.

Yes I have only seen inverts and some horse remains, nothing other than that though.

• I Agree 1

1 hour ago, Jurassicz1 said:

Yes I have only seen inverts and some horse remains, nothing other than that though.

You have to know the people like Frank Garcia who collected extensively there.  I've seen a good number of incredible Leisey Shell Pit mammal fossils at Frank Garcia's house in South Dakota.  Now a lot of those specimens are in Frank's South Dakota World Fossil Finder Museum in Hot Springs.

1566743502_WorldFossilFinderMuseum.jpg.06b641fa4c5c7f211169831033d82f52.jpg

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/24/2023 at 6:38 AM, Jurassicz1 said:

Cheers. Adriano.

Hi Adriano,

Back in the late 80's and into the 2000's, you would see some Leisey Shell Pit fossils for sale at the Tucson shows and at shows in Florida.  I bought a great white shark tooth from there at Tucson in the late 90's.  I can get a photo of it.  I also have a camel tooth.  I've seen a lot more land mammal fossils than shark teeth from there.  The shark teeth I've seen have all been great white shark teeth and they are shiny black with well-preserved serrations.

Jess 

3 hours ago, siteseer said:

Back in the late 80's and into the 2000's, you would see some Leisey Shell Pit fossils for sale at the Tucson shows and at shows in Florida.  I bought a great white shark tooth from there at Tucson in the late 90's.  I can get a photo of it.  I also have a camel tooth.  I've seen a lot more land mammal fossils than shark teeth from there. 

Indeed! The very name "Shell Pit" hints at its marine influence. The site is thought to be a coastal mangrove bay with a large marine component of fossil material. Despite the site's name and the fact that some shelly material and shark teeth were found at this site, it is much more well known for the terrestrial component with over 20,000 vertebrate fossils recovered from this rich site. ;)

The site is long since closed so having some fossils (any fossils) from this famous site is pretty cool. :)

Cheers.

-Ken

On 2/8/2023 at 9:52 AM, siteseer said:

Hi Adriano,

Back in the late 80's and into the 2000's, you would see some Leisey Shell Pit fossils for sale at the Tucson shows and at shows in Florida.  I bought a great white shark tooth from there at Tucson in the late 90's.  I can get a photo of it.  I also have a camel tooth.  I've seen a lot more land mammal fossils than shark teeth from there.  The shark teeth I've seen have all been great white shark teeth and they are shiny black with well-preserved serrations.

Jess 

Very cool! 

Here's a camel tooth from the site.

Palaeollama sp.

Early Pleistocene

Leisey Shell Pit, Hillsborough County, Florida

39mm (crown and root)

leiseycamel.jpg