Sharks, Fish, Rays From Leisey Shell Pit

Jurassicz1

Hello! I have a question, I have become very interested in the Lower Pleistocene site of Leisey Shell Pit in Florida.

I have read that a few species of sharks, bony fish and even rays are present there. Does anyone in the forum actually have any of these in their collections? If so be sure to post them as I have never seen any! 

Cheers. Adriano.

Here's a list of sharks and rays from the site. Some are reworked from older deposits.

leisley1.JPG.082fc5f350eaddc8304050014222528d.JPG

leisley2.JPG

• I found this Informative 1
33 minutes ago, Al Dente said:

Here's a list of sharks and rays from the site. Some are reworked from older deposits.

Thanks for the good information! Are these fossils sold on the market or are they only ever in museums?

39 minutes ago, Jurassicz1 said:

Thanks for the good information! Are these fossils sold on the market or are they only ever in museums?

Leisey shell pit stuff is rarely sold. It IS sold though.

7 hours ago, Meganeura said:

@digit I feel like you're most likely to be able to fulfill this request

Was before my time--nothing in my collection.

There may be some specimens with imagery in the FLMNH collection. You can do a search here:

https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/vertpaleo-search/

You can put in Leisey in the site field (there are several pits within this site to choose from. Toward the top you can select "Only Results With Images".

Cheers.

-Ken

Adriano

You can contact Frank Garcia through his South Dakota Museum.  He should be able to help you.  PM sent.

Marco Sr.

• I found this Informative 1
7 hours ago, digit said:

Was before my time--nothing in my collection.

There may be some specimens with imagery in the FLMNH collection. You can do a search here:

https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/vertpaleo-search/

You can put in Leisey in the site field (there are several pits within this site to choose from. Toward the top you can select "Only Results With Images".

Cheers.

-Ken

Oh I was referring to the FLMNH specimens! Figured you might be able to share input on that.

10 hours ago, MarcoSr said:

Adriano

You can contact Frank Garcia through his South Dakota Museum.  He should be able to help you.  PM sent.

Marco Sr.

Alright will do! I have heard alot of great things about him!

Frank was there at the discovery of this important Florida fossil site. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

On 1/25/2023 at 12:38 AM, Jurassicz1 said:

Hello! I have a question, I have become very interested in the Lower Pleistocene site of Leisey Shell Pit in Florida.

I have read that a few species of sharks, bony fish and even rays are present there. Does anyone in the forum actually have any of these in their collections? If so be sure to post them as I have never seen any! 

Cheers. Adriano.

I have a few gastropods from there, but they are currently packed up, in storage.  I'm going to be moving in a bit.  I'm sorry!

Some decades back I had access to several people who had collected mollusks from there and were selling.  I wish that I knew then what I knew now....