Dromaeosaur tooth: Fake, restored, real? Novice considering purchase

Hello everyone, I'm a novice considering an online purchase.

In my corner of the world even poor quality fossils are few and far between both online and and in shops, so I haven't had much oppotunity to get a feel for what's genuine or decent quality and could use some advice.

The tooth is listed as a Dromaeosaurus from the not very specific location of North africa. I'd of course prefer if the location was properly specified, but because I rarely see anything worth purchasing, I've ended up considering this tooth in spite of that.

I'm wondering whether the tooth has been restored (the tip perhaps? The distal serrations?), it also seems quite shiny but that might just be the lighting.

Whether the ID is correct, I know teeth from this area are generally poorly described. The tooth is 16mm long and to me the mesial serrations look smaller than the distal ones and the tooth seems to have slight ridges(?)

The photos have been provided by the seller, so I apologize if the image quality is too poor to conclude anything. Thank you for reading my post

Fossil forum dromaeosaur 1.JPG

Fossil forum dromaeosaur 2.JPG

Fossil forum dromaeosaur 3.JPG

Fossil forum dromaeosaur 4.JPG

Edited by ChhK
Layout

The genus Dromaeosaurus is only known from North American deposits.

Your tooth appears to be from the Kem Kem Group of the Kem Kem Basin of Morocco.

No Dromaeosaurids have yet to be described from that area but may exist.

This tooth is an indeterminate Abelisaurid.  Yet to be formally described., Looks great I don't see an work on it and these teeth typically are not worked on.

• I found this Informative 3
  • I Agree 1

Hi ChhK

I don't see any red flags in this one. Looks 100% real and what you expect. They are not so rare, and come up frequently 

19 minutes ago, ChhK said:

Dromaeosaurus from the not very specific location of North africa

Its usually from the Kem Kem beds in Marokko. They can have a wide variety in colorization 

20 minutes ago, ChhK said:

I'm wondering whether the tooth has been restored (the tip perhaps?

Beter photos are needed to conclude this, but I don't think so. 

The shininess is good in my opinion, better than a duff matt one

• I found this Informative 1

Heres an example of what you mostly see out there comparable , so you can see your example has much better preservation , good luck!  

238537-14.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Thank you for replying so quickly to both of you. It's great to have the ID and location corrected and the photo for comparing the preservation is very helpful as well. I'm reassured that it's a decent specimen and I'll go ahead with the trade

• Enjoyed 1