Aurora Gold

FossilMick

This weekend was fantastic. I got 2 megs the first one was lying out is the open and measured at 3 1/8 inches. The other Meg is perfect, all serrations intact and no enamel peel. 5 1/8 inches. Great trip!!

post-332-1207605255_thumb.jpg

post-332-1207605456_thumb.jpg

post-332-1207605488_thumb.jpg

I would like to say that you suck dirt with a straw!!! But that would show that I am super envious and super jelous!! Hmmm,,, looks like I just showed that. Dang!! But that is one heck of a beautiful tooth dude!!!

RB

Truly an heirloom piece. Once in my lifetime I'd like to find a tooth like that. Maybe once I have one of everything from Texas I'll branch out a little more, but for now I still have many elusive species of all types to pursue on my own turf.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Great teeth, that 5" is super sweet probally the best meg i've seen come out of the mine this season

Great finds!!!!!!!! Both my wife and I have been in about 7 times in the past 3 years and never found anything like that. Make sure you keep it under lock and key. I dont think there will be as nice of tooth like that one to come out for a good while.

FossilMick,

Congrats on your finds. Did you dig the big meg out by chance or eyeball it on the surface? I had my best

results from Aurora this year by just digging once I found a nice hill of Yorktown. I noticed you are located

in the Piedmont of NC - are you anywhere near Thomasville?

-greel

I was lucky enough to see this monster of a tooth in person. The pictures don't come even close to showing how awesome this tooth looks!!!!! Congrats again!

Thanks for all the comments! I am still floating on air. And you know I have been starring holes through this thing for the past 2 days. I still can't believe that something that old can retain it's beauty like this. The story behind the find is almost unbelieveable itself. I found a nice untouched hill of Yorktown covered with whale bone. As I started to pick out some of the bone with my left hand I was keeping busy with my right hand, and my right hand went in about 3 inches into the soft dirt and came out with a rock, that happened to be this huge Meg. It was covered in mud, and with every wipe of a soft cloth it kept getting better. Almost didn't get in, tons of rain the week before. Saturday had been canceled and it did not look good for Sunday. I am so thankful to the mine for letting us hunt. ---Next time you guys see Obsessed1 ask him how he did. :D --------------------- Greel I live in Asheboro and work in Greensboro.

Thanks for all the comments! I am still floating on air. And you know I have been starring holes through this thing for the past 2 days. I still can't believe that something that old can retain it's beauty like this. The story behind the find is almost unbelieveable itself. I found a nice untouched hill of Yorktown covered with whale bone. As I started to pick out some of the bone with my left hand I was keeping busy with my right hand, and my right hand went in about 3 inches into the soft dirt and came out with a rock, that happened to be this huge Meg. It was covered in mud, and with every wipe of a soft cloth it kept getting better. Almost didn't get in, tons of rain the week before. Saturday had been canceled and it did not look good for Sunday. I am so thankful to the mine for letting us hunt. ---Next time you guys see Obsessed1 ask him how he did. :D --------------------- Greel I live in Asheboro and work in Greensboro.

FossilMick,

I live right up the road in Thomasville, and I too work in Greensboro (near the airport off 68). I go to digs quite often,

as I belong to three clubs (NC Fossil club, Friends of the Museum and East Coast Fossil Clubs). You are more than

welcome to join me anytime. This Friday I'm heading to Rocky Point (eocene) with my son to try and scare up a

nice Ric or archaeocete tooth. Will probably stay the weekend in Greenville to hit GMR. The following Saturday is

the LaFarge dig in SC - I plan on being there with the family also. E-mail me (kreel@triad.rr.com) if you ever

get the itch to go digging.

-greel

Guest bmorefossil
I was lucky enough to see this monster of a tooth in person. The pictures don't come even close to showing how awesome this tooth looks!!!!! Congrats again!

it still doesnt hit me, why cant i stick my hand in the ground and pull out a 5'' tooth!

Archived