Savannah River Dredge Spoil Finds?-Guesses of Camel Canine, Fish Skull Piece, Mammal Tooth, Sloth Tooth, Odd Shaped Bone

James Savage

Hello everyone

Thanks for looking.  I found these yesterday at a Savannah River Dredge Spoil Island after fairly heavy rains and tides.  Unfortunately the dredging and river action damages pretty much everything.  Most of what is found is Pleistocene to Miocene.  These have me stumped.

The following are my guesses as to what the following 5 items are:

#1 Camel or Horse Canine?  Doesn't look like others that I've found or google image searches-Doesn't have a color/texture change from root to crown-Has a ridge on the back side and sharp edge at the end-Looks too symmetrical to be just phosphate

#2 Fish Skull Plate?  I've seen one of these before but it isn't a ray crushing plate or sea robin skull 

#3 1/2 of a Mammal Tooth-Doesn't look like a horse tooth from the chewing surface and doesn't have the angled crown of a tapir tooth-May not be able to ID as too fragmentary

#4 Broken 1/2 of a Sloth Tooth-Had sea lettuce growing in it and is badly beaten up-Looks like other sloth teeth that I've found there before but has a little rougher interior structure than the others and is not quite as smooth on the exterior

#5 Medium sized bone that looks vaguely jaw like-Thick and tapered to a narrower point-beaten up a little-No tooth sockets visible

Any ID's or thoughts would be much appreciated

Thanks a bunch

IMG_E7664.JPG

IMG_E7666.JPG

IMG_7677.JPG

IMG_7678.JPG

IMG_7671.JPG

IMG_7668.JPG

IMG_7667.JPG

IMG_7669.JPG

IMG_7672.JPG

IMG_7674.JPG

IMG_7675.JPG

IMG_7676.JPG

IMG_7679.JPG

IMG_7680.JPG

• Enjoyed 1

2 is a sea turtle shell piece. 3 I believe IS tapir actually, just from a premolar or a posterior molar leading to a not as pronounced cusp. 4 is not a sloth tooth, but it is a bone chunk from something.

Fossils? I dig it. :meg:

Thanks very much for your ID help.  Those definitely make sense.  #2 looks like a thin piece of turtle shell in profile, #3 looks comparable to some other tapir teeth I have, and #4 looks more porous/spongy in profile like bone than when I first looked-it just had those straight lines and hard angles.  

Thanks again for your expertise

• Enjoyed 1