Cretaceous belemnite hooks - Belemnitellidae

Fossilsforever

Hello all,

Most of the belemnite hooks are found in Jurassic sediments (Germany, UK). 

Does anyone know if Cretaceous belemnite hooks are found? (from the Belemnitellidae family?).

I know that in one book about the Cretaceous fossils in Rügen (Germany), belemnite hooks/hooklets are present (forgot the title of the book...). 

Kind regards,

Ruben:thumbsu:

Onychiten-Cephalopoda-Coleoidea-aus-der-Schreibkreide-Unter-Maastrichtium-der-Insel-Ruegen-Ostsee-Onychites-Cephalopoda-Coleoidea-from-the-White-Chalk-Early-Maastrichtian-of-the-Isle-of-Ruegen.pdf (researchgate.net)

The book you mean I think is

reich_frenzel2002fauna_flora_rugen.pdf (ginras.ru)

Onychites are rare in cretaceous sediments, do not know why

I found some in upper cretaceous sediments of Beckumer Berge, Coesfeld and lower cretaceous tonstein from northwestern Germany

e.g.

Drei weitere Onychiten aus der nordwestdeutschen Unterkreide | SpringerLink

mitteilungen-gpi-1-90.pdf (uni-hamburg.de) (year 1992, Engeser & Suthhof) and some more

Edited by rocket
  • I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1

1 hour ago, Fossilsforever said:

Does anyone know if Cretaceous belemnite hooks are found? (from the Belemnitellidae family?).

I believe I have found them in the Peedee Fm. (Maastrictian) of North Carolina. The ones I've found are either from a Belemnite (onychites) or they might be a type of scolecodont that resembles an onychite. I'll have to dig through my collection to find them.

• Enjoyed 1

9 hours ago, Fossilsforever said:

Very interesting!

I looked through part of my collection. I managed to find one. This is a very rough looking one. I have a few more that are smooth and shiny, but I haven’t located them yet. I made the claim that it might be from a belemnite but now I realize it could be from some other type of cephalopod. There are a couple Enchodus teeth and a Rhinobatos tooth in this photo. The squares are 3.2 mm wide.

0AB9526C-1C13-4B4E-8CE3-D7CF7B1FB87F.jpeg

It looks like a belemnite hook (perhaps micro-Onychites). The squares are 3.2mm wide so size and shape wise, it is possible (belemnite micro hooks range from 1 a 2-5mm, sometimes 0.3-5mm). They consist of a base, shaft and uncinus. But I can be wrong and the fossil is something else. I do not know if the fossil could be from another Cephalopod (I think it is a belemnite hook or a scolecodont). 

See for more information (Stevens, 2010) Palaeobiological and morphological aspects of Jurassic Onychites (cephalopod hooks) and new records from the New Zealand Jurassic. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/00288306.2010.526548

Another interesting paper is from Lehmann, Jens & Solarczyk, Alexandra & Friedrich, Oliver. (2011). Belemnoid arm hooks from the Middle-Upper Albian boundary interval: Taxonomy and palaeoecological significance. Paläontologische Zeitschrift. 85. 287-302. 10.1007/s12542-010-0092-7. 

Edited by Fossilsforever
  • I found this Informative 1