Kem Kem dromaeosauridae ?

Francesco1994

Buonasera !

Browsing online looking for KK teeth, I came across a site that sells several products, including these "raptor teeth" from KK.
Is this plausible? I don't think I've ever read about dromaeosaurids found in the KKB, furthermore some would seem to have the appearance of being small carcharodontosaurus teeth...

add-on-raptor-tooth-small_1000x.jpg

add-on-raptor-tooth-medium-01_800x.jpg

MAIN-001_fc1b26f6-089e-4362-87f7-07393ef82b62_700x.jpg

There are KKB teeth that are suspected to be Dromaeosaurid, but there haven't been any bones to back it up. So, if you want to take a shot, you're typically looking for high DSDI, rounded denticle shape, and the rest of the typical dromaeosaurid characteristics (and avoiding characteristics of carch, abelisaur, deltadromeus, etc. In my experience, solid dromie contenders are quite rare.

• Thank You 1

I just ran into this question last month when I was purchasing my first "raptor" tooth from the Kem Kem and was curious what to label it in my collection.

If found this article by @Troodon extremely helpful: 

• I found this Informative 1

The teeth you are showing in your spiral and the two loose ones are a variety of different families of dinosaurs including Carcharodontosaurid, Abelisaurid and Indeterminate theropods.

Unfortunately many sellers use "raptors" just as a sales pitch for small teeth to entice collectors to buy.

We do not know if Dromaeosaurids are present, there is some evidence they exist but beyond that everything is pure speculation.  There are lots of different morph types of theropod teeth in the Kem Kem Group that suggest Dromaeosaurid but in the end they are Indeterminate.   In fact there is not one theropod tooth that you can assign to a Genus/Species all must be identified at the family level or are indeterminate.

• Thank You 1

12 hours ago, Troodon said:

The teeth you are showing in your spiral and the two loose ones are a variety of different families of dinosaurs including Carcharodontosaurid, Abelisaurid and Indeterminate theropods.

Unfortunately many sellers use "raptors" just as a sales pitch for small teeth to entice collectors to buy.

We do not know if Dromaeosaurids are present, there is some evidence they exist but beyond that everything is pure speculation.  There are lots of different morph types of theropod teeth in the Kem Kem Group that suggest Dromaeosaurid but in the end they are Indeterminate.   In fact there is not one theropod tooth that you can assign to a Genus/Species all must be identified at the family level or are indeterminate.

so I guess we'll have to wait for the at least partial discovery of a jaw/skull that can be traced back to something known or in any case comparable to finally give an opinion on KK's "doubtful" teeth in general?

25 minutes ago, Francesco1994 said:

so I guess we'll have to wait for the at least partial discovery of a jaw/skull that can be traced back to something known or in any case comparable to finally give an opinion on KK's "doubtful" teeth in general?

Absolutely but it goes far beyond identifying teeth but what dinosaurs exist in each family.    For example how many Spinosaurids are present and what should they be called.   Same with Carcharodontosaurid.   Theropods are just poorly understood because of the lack of discoveries of articulated skeletons.

• Thank You 1