Someone tell me what this is?

sbw

Two bipedal babies incases in rock with this brachiopod. I'm currently, cleaning them and will have them fully exposed soon. They honestly look like raptors. But I'm not a  paleontologist so I need help. I can already see the actual texture of the skin and I'm starting to be able to make out the markings. But I'm lost about what to do next.

:headscratch:Your fighting some long odds on this one. Babies encased in rock ? Can you be more specific where you see these ? It seems extremely unlikely.

• I found this Informative 2

It is extremely unlikely. Found it digging the foundation for our garage. The shell was exposed and I picked it up and kept it. A year and half later I finally decide to try and get it cleaned. I say rock but it's more like super dry mud. Let me upload a more recent one. See what you think

Hi SBW and welcome to the forum!

Nice Brachiopod on concretion is what I see.

Just think about it: if you had two baby raptors in this stone, this would be among the top discoveries of the decade. Prepping them yourself, even if you are a skillfull and cautious layman, would not sound like a good idea.

I am 99.9% sure there are no fossil vertebrates in your find, so go ahead.

But if you really believe you got raptors or any vertebrates there, take them to the next natural history museum after emailing them. If its true, they will implore you to let them prep the fossil and put it on display with your Name on it.

More probably they will tell you "nice brachiopod, could be species xy from age z, thanks for visiting us"

Best Regards,

J

• I Agree 2

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

What county was this found in?

According to this geologic map, the only Cretaceous sediments are in the south western counties in Kentucky.

The others are too old to have any dinosaur remains. And the possibility of dinosaur remains being next to a marine brachiopod are slim to none.  :unsure:

map-kentucky-geologic.gif

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Nice shell fossil but definitely no raptors.... Take a look at some real raptor fossils online and you will see they don't fossilize in the way you think you are seeing. Sorry.

9 minutes ago, Randyw said:

Nice shell fossil but definitely no raptors.... Take a look at some real raptor fossils online and you will see they don't fossilize in the way you think you are seeing. Sorry.

I agree

• I found this Informative 1

It is extremely unlikely. Found it digging the foundation for our garage. The shell was exposed and I picked it up and kept it. A year and half later I finally decide to try and get it cleaned. I say rock but it's more like super dry mud. Let me upload a more recent one. See what you think

9 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

What county was this found in?

According to this geologic map, the only Cretaceous sediments are in the south western counties in Kentucky.

The others are too old to have any dinosaur remains. And the possibility of dinosaur remains being next to a marine brachiopod are slim to none.  :unsure:

map-kentucky-geologic.gif

The odds are irrelevant at this point. I'm holding it and looking at it. I don't need to be a paleontologist to know I'm looking at a vertebrate. I'm just trying to identify the species. 

IMG_20230126_051513.jpg

@sbw

The odds are not irrelevant at this point.  They are very relevant to indicate what can be found in your area.

These are not the fossils you think they are.

You have a piece of limestone. I see no evidence of any kind of vertebrate fossil in this photo.

In fact, I see a crinoid stem lumen cast on your piece.

crinoid lumen cast.jpg

I don't think you will find the answer you are looking for here. You have your mind made up, and we will not be able to change it.

Please take your item to a local natural history museum or university geology department. 
Best of luck to you.

Topic is now locked.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

• Fossildude19 locked this topic