Started Prepping Bone from Lance Formation

svcgoat

I got a big box of unprepped material from the lance formation here are a couple pieces I started cleaning off.

First piece

Approx 6x5cm

PXL_20230126_220519125.jpg

PXL_20230126_220510843.jpg

PXL_20230126_220500213.jpg

Looks like they have a lot of glue and matrix on the surface, so it could be a challenge.  Keep us updated on the progress. 

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

Would like to see how it looks after it has been cleaned and prepped! Seems pretty fragmentary but hopefully you'll be able to identify some part of it, good luck! :popcorn:

what kind of glue did the collectors use?  This is important to know.  Most folks use vinac or butvar in the field, which comes off with acetone.  If they used cyanoacrylate (superglue) it is much harder to remove, especially if it what is holding the sandstone together.  Superglue really bonds well with Lance Fm sandstone and is a pain in the butt to remove.  The fact that you mentioned debonder suggests it is superglue.  Debonder will work but you must be patient.   

• I found this Informative 1

Agree with @jpc here’s an article that mentions how to remove super glue from fossils if that’s the case, you can also try applying areas with a light cloth to places where there is excessive glue

the seller may not know if they didn't actually collect it.   But the debonder should work on both superglue and any acetone based glue.  But be careful that you don't completely teak all the bone pieces apart while trying to remove sandstone.

I know too may diggers and collectors that use Paleobond PB002 and Starbond to cover the bones at dig sites.  Just adds so much work to the prep side.   Good luck

1 hour ago, Troodon said:

I know too may diggers and collectors that use Paleobond PB002 and Starbond to cover the bones at dig sites.  Just adds so much work to the prep side.   Good luck

I know this is a tangent to the OP's thread but..... Every year I go out and tell myself "I'm not covering everything in PB02 this time, I can do better!"  and then I get the fossils uncovered and they are just a mosaic of fractures and I say "Oh snarge, if I dont cover it in PB02, its going to fall apart before I can get it out, much less the ride back home".

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

9 minutes ago, hadrosauridae said:

I know this is a tangent to the OP's thread but..... Every year I go out and tell myself "I'm not covering everything in PB02 this time, I can do better!"  and then I get the fossils uncovered and they are just a mosaic of fractures and I say "Oh snarge, if I dont cover it in PB02, its going to fall apart before I can get it out, much less the ride back home".

I understand but lots of times its a general purpose application.  I'm not sure it needed to be used on the OP specimens. I use PB002 on cracks but PB4417 on wider area.  It's a field prep that's a lot easier to remove.  

3 hours ago, Troodon said:

I agree and it is fine, as long as I am not the one prepping it.   Nor any of my museum volunteers.  It must be a dire sitaution for me to use these things in the field.  

2 hours ago, hadrosauridae said:

have you tried vinac, butvar or paraloid?  They take longer to set but are sooooo much easier to deal with back in the lab.

• I Agree 1

Yeah I haven't prepped in the field yet as California is mostly marine but when I go to Montana in June I wonder what I'll use

9 hours ago, jpc said:

have you tried vinac, butvar or paraloid?  They take longer to set but are sooooo much easier to deal with back in the lab.

I did use it on a few items last year, but tend to grab the bottle of PB out of habit.  I need to just leave the PB02 in the truck so I quit reaching for it automatically.  

17 hours ago, hadrosauridae said:

I did use it on a few items last year, but tend to grab the bottle of PB out of habit.  I need to just leave the PB02 in the truck so I quit reaching for it automatically.  

careful leaving it in the truck... it gets hot in there and cyano does not like that

• I found this Informative 1