Printable 3D files for free Microraptor gui skeleton

lormouth

I recently found on the site cults3d a very beautiful and almost complete skeleton of Microraptor gui to print with a 3D resin printer. Here is the link:

https://cults3d.com/fr/mod%C3%A8le-3d/art/microraptor-gui-skeleton

The only problem was the skull was missing. The creator of this specimen, Florent Germain, had not had time to finalize his skull. He'll put it later, when finished, he said.

I was able to print this model and I decided to make the skull myself :)

Lucky me, I was able to use a dental scanner (not too suitable for this kind of models) and to generate a 3d printable file :) . The STL file of the skull is available for free. I am not a pro of 3D modeling software so be indulgent with the result. This file can be modified or improved for the person who can.

Here the link :

https://cults3d.com/fr/modèle-3d/divers/microraptor-gui-dinosaur-skull-open-source

I haven't tried to print it on a printer, but it should work.

Enjoy !

Some photos of the skull and skeleton, I'll update this topic when everything will be finished.

P1140652.JPG

P1140649.JPG

microraptor skull.jpg

Edited by lormouth
  • Thank You 2

• lormouth changed the title to Printable 3D files for free Microraptor gui skeleton

Hi Laurent, thats a great skeleton and skull!

And to me it looks as if the dental scanner worked quite fine.

Thats yet another workflow, scan of handmade model :)

Salut,

J

• Thank You 1

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Yes definitely very well done.  Curious, what painting techniques did you use to achieve that look? 

-Jay

''...science is eminently perfectible, and that each theory has constantly to give way to a fresh one.''

-Journey to the Center of the Earth, Jules Verne

6 hours ago, rocket said:

wow, thats well done! Great work, thanks for sharing

6 hours ago, Jaybot said:

Yes definitely very well done.  Curious, what painting techniques did you use to achieve that look? 

Thanks a lot for compliments. I put a first layer of dark paint, then a second lighter with dry brush and a last one lighter again.

• I found this Informative 1

Salut Laurent, another great result!

I heard that resin prints are quite fragile before UV hardening, how is the handling of filigree shapes like those ribs?

Best regards,

Jan

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

Hello Jan!

UV resin is flexible before UV hardening, after 40 min supposed of UV it became more breakable, even on "flexible" resin that I use wich is a little more flexible that standards resins

When the print is finish the result is very flexible, I first UV harden for 5 to 8 min after cleaning the liquid resin, then work on the parts that are still flexible and when finished, 20 min with UV hardening. I'm using "UV tough" resine from Anycubic wich is more flexible than standard resins but can be still breakable at the end. I haven't tried yet better quality resines, there are a lot of comparative test on Youtube...

• Thank You 1