Questions about a few teeth

Daltong

These are a few of the nicest/most interesting teeth I've found, and I was wondering if anyone knows about the two on the bottom left. I think the one with the red and orange tip is some sort of mako tooth or a similar species, and from what I could find the one beside it with the round profile could be one of the earliest ancestors of white sharks. The top three I believe are all from megalodons, as well as the really short yellow tooth on the bottom. I think that one is a tooth that was growing inside the jaw or something due to its small size compared to the size of the root. The smaller tooth on the right is one I am unsure of too, looks like a giant snaggletooth but I think it's something else that I don't know about. Also pictured is the nicest tiger shark tooth I've found so far, but the camera has a hard time getting the red and purple in the base of the tooth.

BD9D5D70-2685-4D8E-B689-25D9E4038C01.jpeg

5044297A-5571-4FA4-BD9C-E0BCDB36B632.jpeg

AE3804B5-9DDD-4270-A8CF-D0A13E6A689D.jpeg

F82B2409-CEAE-4441-86CF-14F4DFF2EAC3.jpeg

7715FAE5-B042-4366-8420-926C238E7F63.jpeg

• Enjoyed 1

You're correct in all your IDs - except the one you said is a giant snaggletooth, is actually a lower Carcharodon hastalis. Same species/genus as the other White shark teeth you have.

Fossils? I dig it. :meg:

55 minutes ago, Meganeura said:

You're correct in all your IDs - except the one you said is a giant snaggletooth, is actually a lower Carcharodon hastalis. Same species/genus as the other White shark teeth you have.

Thanks for the id on that lower jaw tooth, I think I have a few others from the same species that are broken to where it's either a fragment of the tooth or just part of the root. Hopefully I'm able to find some more megalodon teeth in better condition in the future, just haven't been able to find many places like where these came from. 

• Enjoyed 1

You're still looking for IDs on the bottom left two, right? I think they are both hastalis as well, probably lower jaw and then upper. I wonder if the bottom right isn't Isurus oxyrinchus based on the thick root? I agree it isn't a snaggletooth, as there is no sign of serrations. 

20 minutes ago, debivort said:

You're still looking for IDs on the bottom left two, right? I think they are both hastalis as well, probably lower jaw and then upper. I wonder if the bottom right isn't Isurus oxyrinchus based on the thick root? I agree it isn't a snaggletooth, as there is no sign of serrations. 

Given Florida - I think it's just Hastalis for all 3.

• I found this Informative 1

Fossils? I dig it. :meg:

On 1/27/2023 at 2:50 PM, debivort said:

Okay thanks, I agree with that for all three after finding images that look almost exactly like these teeth. Cool to know for future reference too, hopefully I find more soon

• Enjoyed 1