Allosaurus Sacral Vertebrae Prep

Flx

I am a big fan of jurrasic sauropods and I therefore spend most of my time on preparing what is left of them. However, for a change I now started working on a slab of rock that seems to contain a series of fused sacral vertebrae by a theropod. The verts seem to belong to Allosaurus.  Maybe not as cool as a sauropod fossil but I think that Allosaurus was a fascinating creature as well. ;)

The bones have been collected many years ago at Dana Quarry, Teen Sleep, Wyoming. 

allosacrum_0000.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

• 2 months later...

I haven't posted an update for a while.... mainly sicne I din't have much time to prep.

Anyway, I started working on another block containing more Allosaurus verts. It seems that all 5 sacral vertebrae have been recovered as well as the last dorsal vert. I am going to glue those two blocks together using an epoxy-based paste.

allopelvis_01.jpg

allopelvis_02.jpg

• Enjoyed 4

• 2 weeks later...

I finally finished the Allosaurus project. It consist of the 5 fused sacral verts as well as the last dorsal vertebra. 

This took much longer than expected since the matrix was super hard. 

What is interesting is that some parts of the neural spines are missing. It almost looks like they have been bitten off? :Confused02:

I cannot find hard evidence for this though.

juradino_s0001.JPG

juradino_s0002.JPG

juradino_s0006.JPG

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 9

On 1/28/2023 at 12:48 PM, Flx said:

Maybe not as cool as a sauropod fossil but I think that Allosaurus was a fascinating creature as well.

whUUt , not as cool? You perhaps ment to say much cooler :dinothumb: very nice piece and nice prep work

• Thank You 1

fabulous!  How have I not seen this thread until now?  Great prep on a couple of amazing pieces!

• Thank You 1

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

On 4/25/2023 at 11:36 AM, Phos_01 said:

whUUt , not as cool? You perhaps ment to say much cooler :dinothumb: very nice piece and nice prep work

Well, after preparing mostly sauropod fossils for 1000+ hours I have a special connection to them. :rolleyes:

• Enjoyed 1