sheetmetaldad95

Hey everyone, I've been trying to plan a little trip for me and my family to go on a little fossil hunt. I live in Bartlesville Oklahoma and I have several nice places I can go to find fossils all over. Mainly mississippian and Pennsylvanian. I'm looking for areas within an hour or so drive from where I live. I'm aware of the pliestocene finds in the arkansas river in tulsa area. I'd love for someone to send me maps or geologic surveys showing what areas in the topography, and other recomendations. 

Places I've been to worth noting: Kaw Lake spillway, Ponca City (good shells everywhere) Bartlesville Mound (excellent source of Chrinoids and some bits of coral) Hudson lake (Bartlesville water source, 1- chrinoid calyx found, tons of bivalves and other shells) Turkey Creek, Bartlesville (uncountable amounts of horn coral)

16 hours ago, sheetmetaldad95 said:

I'd love for someone to send me maps or geologic surveys showing what areas in the topography, and other recomendations. 

Have you looked online for Oklahoma geological surveys?  

Looks like here is a good start: http://www.ou.edu/ogs.html

Edited by Adam86cucv
Added a link

Sounds like youve already got a good handle on fossil locations.  Goggle will be your friend for finding geologic maps of your area.

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

14 hours ago, Adam86cucv said:

Have you looked online for Oklahoma geological surveys?  

Looks like here is a good start: http://www.ou.edu/ogs.html

I've always had a hard time navigating that site. What is an easy way to search a specific location or county, without having to randomly search these maps?

I know this sounds elementary, and I may figure it out before you get back to me. But as for now I'm somewhat lost.