Megafauna (sloth? Probiscedean?) Astragalus

Meganeura

Found this today - recognized it as an astragalus pretty quickly but couldn’t pinpoint what. I’ve narrowed it down to either Probiscidean or Sloth. It’s 3.2 inches/82mm in length. @Harry Pristis @Shellseeker either of you able to discern?

D73A591B-CDA2-42A4-AC6E-F0FABA9EDA0A.thumb.jpeg.e158d6c1239258320ff484ee478c84b7.jpeg9A86C3BC-8485-4F80-B587-AB7D0D356EE0.thumb.jpeg.29cd1f60e51427c87792ed80e2af86b9.jpeg0356D4DF-B398-4571-B0B3-8894753C6F28.thumb.jpeg.ab382feb43d61888bbb52a03c8a50f52.jpeg7F75B7B0-2BFA-4DCB-A05C-958EC0C43644.thumb.jpeg.900e0e462b4e1c6882379c1cca82968c.jpeg11870CB4-A30C-4C29-85ED-FCA25C80EA16.thumb.jpeg.a92bbb05d1e229ae543099d1c09ab644.jpeg69AA2CBA-F911-4782-9DFE-2813AEB669EB.thumb.jpeg.889bf4fd6fa465c966f8b684e995ac01.jpeg 

• Enjoyed 3

Fossils? I dig it. :meg:

32 minutes ago, Nimravis said:

Wow- that is a big boy.

You'd think, but the closest match so far, which comes from @PrehistoricFlorida's Mastodon astragalus, is twice the size! So if mine is Probiscidean, it's from a juvenille, i think?

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/129167-capybara-maybe-sloth/&tab=comments#comment-1397613

In the above thread, I linked to a fossil prehistoricflorida had posted.... It seems to have some similarity to this photo of yours...

7F75B7B0-2BFA-4DCB-A05C-958EC0C43644.thumb.jpeg.900e0e462b4e1c6882379c1cca82968c.jpeg

• Enjoyed 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

6 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/129167-capybara-maybe-sloth/&tab=comments#comment-1397613

In the above thread, I linked to a fossil prehistoricflorida had posted.... It seems to have some similarity to this photo of yours...

7F75B7B0-2BFA-4DCB-A05C-958EC0C43644.thumb.jpeg.900e0e462b4e1c6882379c1cca82968c.jpeg

It’s really funny you say that Jack - that thread and the medial phalanx were my first thoughts when I found it! 

but then I also found this from Nate:

B32A8BD3-5BDE-4219-8DD6-52738F2021CE.thumb.jpeg.56198b9686e5598160a34172718de208.jpeg

Which is why I’ve been leaning Probiscidean. 

@Shellseeker so I asked Nate on his thoughts, and he said Rhino. I know you had a Teleoceras astragalus somewhere… do you still have it post-Ian? 

14 minutes ago, Meganeura said:

@Shellseeker so I asked Nate on his thoughts, and he said Rhino. I know you had a Teleoceras astragalus somewhere… do you still have it post-Ian? 

Photos Daniel,  I have over 15000 on the Cloud....

but I think that you have identified your fossil

TeleocerasAstragulusDec2014.thumb.jpg.732ea1f6487d0368a9d49342cd2e43c7.jpg

• Thank You 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

8 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

Photos Daniel,  I have over 15000 on the Cloud....

but I think that you have identified your fossil

TeleocerasAstragulusDec2014.thumb.jpg.732ea1f6487d0368a9d49342cd2e43c7.jpg

Hmmm I’m not sure. I see what Nate was seeing, but I don’t have the protrusion in the same spot/shape as the Teleoceras one does… though the size seems to fit.

• 2 weeks later...

@Harry Pristis @Shellseeker So I’d love your help a little here - I found this thread from @PODIGGER showing a Probiscidean calcaneus:

www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/104674-proboscidean-calcaneum/

My bone above looks very much like it would fit into the sockets quite nicely. What other bones fit into the calcaneus that isn’t the Astragalus? An Astragalus doesn’t seem to quite match (Though, the size of mine implies juvenile if it is an astragalus, and maybe the bones just hadn’t fused yet? Not sure how that works honestly.) - so I wonder if it’s another similar bone. 

Sloth is definitely way off, as is rhino. Probiscidean seems the closest match to me, but it isn’t quite right either. I’m quite stumped, especially as my bone shows no break spots - it’s a complete, but a little worn, bone. 

2 minutes ago, Harry Pristis said:

And your evidence is . . . 

image.png.61c70ec6b37a2c30012ce046d177e1c0.png

These are Glyptotherium astragalii and are identical to mine! 

• I found this Informative 1

49 minutes ago, Harry Pristis said:

And these objects are identified by whom?

Guy is named SoutheasternFossils on Instagram - he's helped me before with Xenarthra fossils - he's super knowledgable about em. Can't find a Glyptodon astragalus online anywhere to compare though - but at the very least, he knows his stuff about as well as you do, Harry.

So, Daniel How about sharing your knowledge.... You have great photos , measurements, etc... Create a Gallery entry,  identify WHY you believe it to be Glyptodon Astragalus. Then make sure that anyone else just has to do a Google search of those 2 words...  Save others from having to work so hard to get the ID you have discovered...  NICE Job....  Jack

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

So, Daniel How about sharing your knowledge.... You have great photos , measurements, etc... Create a Gallery entry,  identify WHY you believe it to be Glyptodon Astragalus. Then make sure that anyone else just has to do a Google search of those 2 words...  Save others from having to work so hard to get the ID you have discovered...  NICE Job....  Jack

That, Jack, is a wonderful idea, and I will do exactly that this weekend!

@Harry Pristis Oh, also Hulbert responded and confirmed Glyptodont, so hopefully that helps too! 

"Anyway, your identification as a non-elephant astragalus was correct. Preservation is not the best, but good enough for me to tell that it belongs to a glyptodont. Considering all the osteoderms that are found, limb and foot bones of glyptodonts are surprisingly rare. I only know of one other one found in Florida. Once I get all the needed equipment and am well trained on them (probably will take 3 to 4 months), this is just the kind of specimen I would like to scan for my Pleistocene mammals of Florida project. Chances are good that in four months time I will have forgotten about this, so it would be helpful if you can remind me of its existence."

So seems I'll need to make a trip to Gainesville in 4 months!

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1

Great find Daniel!  Dr. Hulbert is amazing.   I sent him a couple of pieces to identify in the past a two years and he immediately responded. It’s crazy to me how he always takes the time to help us amateurs, knowing he must be super busy All the time.

Rick

• I Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Family Fun said:

Great find Daniel!  Dr. Hulbert is amazing.   I sent him a couple of pieces to identify in the past a two years and he immediately responded. It’s crazy to me how he always takes the time to help us amateurs, knowing he must be super busy All the time.

Rick

Lucky for him he’s in semi-retirement so he gets to work on his own projects currently!

5 hours ago, Meganeura said:

@Harry Pristis Oh, also Hulbert responded and confirmed Glyptodont, so hopefully that helps too! 

"Anyway, your identification as a non-elephant astragalus was correct. Preservation is not the best, but good enough for me to tell that it belongs to a glyptodont. Considering all the osteoderms that are found, limb and foot bones of glyptodonts are surprisingly rare. I only know of one other one found in Florida. Once I get all the needed equipment and am well trained on them (probably will take 3 to 4 months), this is just the kind of specimen I would like to scan for my Pleistocene mammals of Florida project. Chances are good that in four months time I will have forgotten about this, so it would be helpful if you can remind me of its existence."

So seems I'll need to make a trip to Gainesville in 4 months!

Thanks for sharing.... It is so easy,  when you know the answer....

Another validation...  A grainy photo from this paper.

Revisiting the Intertropical Brazilian Species Hoplophorus euphractus (Cingulata, Glyptodontoidea)

https://bioone.org/ContentImages/Journals/vrpa/30/3/02724631003765735/graphic/f07_911.jpg

• I found this Informative 3