Cracked this open and found an interesting pattern. Is this evidence of a fossil within this limestone? If so what could it be? See the thin strands alongside the main “stem”. Why is the outer layer this color?

Some pictures have had the contrast and saturation adjusted to aid with identification 

I’ve only been searching for and studying fossils and rocks for not even a year. Teach me all the things! The fossils that I’m familiar with in this area aren’t matching up. 

found near Beaman Park - north west Davidson County, Tennessee. This area has features of the western highland rim not so much of the central Basin (is what Google says) 

thanks! 

Sarah

(This is my first post! I’ve been wanting to post many things for a long while but haven’t gotten up the nerve so be nice:)

• Enjoyed 1

I don’t see my pictures loaded on this post - so I’ll try here - also- I actually posted back last spring and I don’t even remember doing that. Maybe I was drunk? 

56664D19-0D15-4987-9B7C-B6828808821E.png

3768ECA7-3FB2-4BC3-8D0C-B7336CD54099.png

E09E9212-C12E-4501-B1A0-57E1D60A1FD2.png

08E93A3C-1D24-4858-ABB1-634DFEC1F04A.png

117D6AF6-98CA-42BD-B2B4-CBCE5DDF8B8F.jpeg

5337187C-104B-456A-AFCF-8E6CBBE4101D.png

Edited by sarahbbgun
Double picture

Could be a concretion with weathered surface? Or just a piece of ordinary weathered limestone?

I can not ID the thing inside.

@Nimravis - Thanks!
Franz Bernhard

Edited by FranzBernhard
  • Thank You 1

47 minutes ago, sarahbbgun said:

(This is my first post! I’ve been wanting to post many things for a long while but haven’t gotten up the nerve so be nice:)

If you've spent any amount of time here, you would know that we only do nice here. ;)

Welcome to the Forum. :)

• Thank You 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

According to this Tennessee geologic map,

TennGeoMap - Large.jpg

Davidson County has Ordovician, Devonian/Silurian , and Mississippian aged rocks exposed. Plenty of fossil possibilities.

The information on this website is extremely old, and likely no longer accurate, but it is a good place to start your research from. ;)

• I Agree 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

1 minute ago, Fossildude19 said:

TennGeoMap - Large.jpg

Davidson County has Ordovician, Devonian , and Mississippian aged rocks exposed. Plenty of fossil possibilities.

Yes, all kinds of great stuff in these parts. in the specific area of Davidson where it was found it has more of the highland rim features but maybe some Ordovician too. I usually go down to the Giles county/Lincoln county area which has a pretty nice combo of Ordovician and Mississippian. Best hobby my adhd brain has found yet. Dopamine explosions I say!  Thanks!

• Enjoyed 2

7 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

TennGeoMap - Large.jpg

Davidson County has Ordovician, Devonian/Silurian , and Mississippian aged rocks exposed. Plenty of fossil possibilities.

The information on this website is extremely old, and likely no longer accurate, but it is a good place to start your research from. ;)

Oh and thanks for the link!!! 

• Enjoyed 1

43 minutes ago, sarahbbgun said:

Best hobby my adhd brain has found yet.

You really got the right one :dinothumb:.

Franz Bernhard

• I Agree 1

Hello and welcome to the forum.  You are in a great place to go fossil hunting.  Your area has a lot of dense limestone (as opposed to interbedded shale and limestone) and that often holds onto the fossils extra well, so look in the rubble at the base of exposures for weathered out specimens or pieces of matrix with fossils showing.  Lots of marine invertebrates to be found!  Here is a link to an "oldie but goodie" from your area: https://www.tn.gov/content/dam/tn/environment/geology/documents/geology_fossil-hunt-nashville.pdf

As to your find that you posted, I'm not seeing any obvious fossils.  Looks like a a piece of weathered (that's why the different color around the outside, or rim) limestone which is extremely common in your area. 

5 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

Could be a concretion with weathered surface? Or just a piece of ordinary weathered limestone?

I can not ID the thing inside.

@Nimravis - Thanks!
Franz Bernhard

I have no clue on pieces from that area.

• Thank You 1

@sarahbbgun, I see what you are looking at and it could be that you have broken across a shell(s) but I think it is more likely just subtle differences in rock texture or perhaps depositional features reflected in different rock grain distribution.  Pretty hard to tell without the rock in hand and some magnification.  A lot has happened to the rock in the ~350 million years since it was deposited!

• I found this Informative 1