Southern Illinois Road cut Hunting

jforbes

I have just recently started fossil hunting my home state of Illinois after a few fossil trips I have done on vacation in Florida. After a trip to Mazon creek last year I decided to switch it up with some road cut hunting down in southern Illinois. There were an unbelievable amount of fossils in this road cut. I collected plenty and left plenty more. Here are a few of my favorites and just an overview of what seems to be the most abundant fossils in this formation. I was at the site for a little less than three hours.

Of course, this site is littered with crinoids. Here are a couple longer crinoid stems as well as what I believe to be crinoid calyx.

2039682321_CrinoidCalyx.thumb.jpg.2415dc7d15bf88f72ab86e830c472e26.jpg

1159853293_CrinoidStem.thumb.jpg.4fbfee65182e668cf6295bda85d5981c.jpg

Archimedes screws were a little less common, but still a fairly easy find.

2137677708_ArchimedesScrew.thumb.jpg.6eaa41b9972d5223c35f87f3813e7b85.jpg

The fossil I was hoping to find was a blastoid, and I managed to find a few. Here is an image of all the blastoids collected and an up-close of the biggest.

Blastoid.thumb.jpg.7f6d8666690ae898a76db5f449b8391d.jpg835067566_UpcloseBlastoid.thumb.jpg.c7f6a6b311eb3de516fe5c348b4ea80b.jpg

Here are some Brachiopods. I don't know much about these so any info would be appreciated. I really like the small guys.

Brachiopods.thumb.jpg.18a6b4991fcc519a0019eaa8d907830f.jpg

Just some little pieces of bryozoan to show proof they were there. These dominated some matrix slabs on the road cut.

Bryozoans.thumb.jpg.490ba455bdd5794bb3348b6f120f1cde.jpg

Last I have what I believe is the back end of a trilobite. I have always wanted to find one of these guys so maybe this is just wishful thinking. Please let me know your thoughts on this!

63347521_Trilobite.thumb.jpg.3e3cfecdaa089dfc34b69f893cddf0d8.jpg

• Enjoyed 9

20 minutes ago, jforbes said:

Last I have what I believe is the back end of a trilobite. I have always wanted to find one of these guys so maybe this is just wishful thinking. Please let me know your thoughts on this!

You're correct, this is a trilobite pygidium. Any idea on the formation this was found in? I have a general guess of where you were collecting but verifying the formation (just the formation) will aid identification.

Kaskia sp. is a fairly common trilobite in the Mississippian of Illinois. mail?url=http%3A%2F%2Fmail.yimg.com%2Fok%2Fu%2Fassets%2Fimg%2Femoticons%2Femo71.gif&t=1675018266&ymreqid=23281213-8dc1-3cff-1c11-bb0005013f00&sig=.cgsGPOCSDiEysYdSQGCLg--~D

image.png.cf5fa776b1d45b2afdf07ce2447fabef.png

Brezinski, D.K. 2008. Phylogenetics, Systematics, Paleoecology, and Evolution of the Trilobite

Genera Paladin and Kaskia from the United States. Journal of Paleontology, 82(3):511-527

• Enjoyed 1

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Welcome to the Forum.

You found some very nice fossils!  I especially like the crinoid calyx, that is an excellent find, but the blastoids are not shabby either.  Actually, nothing is shabby!  Three hours well spent I think.

Don

3 hours ago, Thomas.Dodson said:

You're correct, this is a trilobite pygidium. Any idea on the formation this was found in? I have a general guess of where you were collecting but verifying the formation (just the formation) will aid identification.

Piranha seems to be on it! It is a Mississippian formation and is likely the road cut you have in mind. It is about as popular of a location as it gets for road cuts in southern Illinois. 

Edited by jforbes

1 hour ago, piranha said:

Kaskia sp. is a fairly common trilobite in the Mississippian of Illinois. mail?url=http%3A%2F%2Fmail.yimg.com%2Fok%2Fu%2Fassets%2Fimg%2Femoticons%2Femo71.gif&t=1675018266&ymreqid=23281213-8dc1-3cff-1c11-bb0005013f00&sig=.cgsGPOCSDiEysYdSQGCLg--~D

image.png.cf5fa776b1d45b2afdf07ce2447fabef.png

Brezinski, D.K. 2008. Phylogenetics, Systematics, Paleoecology, and Evolution of the Trilobite

Genera Paladin and Kaskia from the United States. Journal of Paleontology, 82(3):511-527

Wow thanks for the side by side. This is very cool to see. So this would essentially be the bottom third of a trilobites exoskeleton? Is it common for the fossils to break into these well defined segments of head, thorax, or pygidium?

1 hour ago, FossilDAWG said:

Welcome to the Forum.

You found some very nice fossils!  I especially like the crinoid calyx, that is an excellent find, but the blastoids are not shabby either.  Actually, nothing is shabby!  Three hours well spent I think.

Don

Thanks for the kind words Don, happy to be here!

Nice finds and report! The crinoid calyx are especially nice, and your blastoids are from the genus Pentremites, which are well known from Illinois. Congrats on the successful hunt. 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Great finds! Especially the crinoid crown with arms and calyx, but the brachiopods and blastoids are cool too. Congratulations and thanks for posting. 

• I Agree 1

Nice finds, it looks like fossils from a roadcut I visited last summer (hopefully the chiggars were all in hiding this time of year!).  Here is a website that you may find helpful: http://www.uky.edu/OtherOrgs/KPS/poky/pages/pokych05.htm

Look especially at the plates for the Chester Series.  I know it is based in Kentucky, but its jus across the river and the same stratigraphy.

Piranha (as he always does) has already nailed the trilobite for you, the blastoids are indeed Pentremites (you have  at least a couple different species there), the crinoid calyx looks similar to one I called Delocrinus (but crinoid nomenclature is complex and I'm no expert) and I can pull out my box of them later and give you some names on the brachiopods, but I see Composita and Cleiothytridina sublamellosa in there as well as others.

On 1/30/2023 at 6:06 AM, FossilNerd said:

Nice finds and report! The crinoid calyx are especially nice, and your blastoids are from the genus Pentremites, which are well known from Illinois. Congrats on the successful hunt. 

On 1/30/2023 at 2:11 PM, ClearLake said:

Nice finds, it looks like fossils from a roadcut I visited last summer (hopefully the chiggars were all in hiding this time of year!).  Here is a website that you may find helpful: http://www.uky.edu/OtherOrgs/KPS/poky/pages/pokych05.htm

Look especially at the plates for the Chester Series.  I know it is based in Kentucky, but its jus across the river and the same stratigraphy.

Piranha (as he always does) has already nailed the trilobite for you, the blastoids are indeed Pentremites (you have  at least a couple different species there), the crinoid calyx looks similar to one I called Delocrinus (but crinoid nomenclature is complex and I'm no expert) and I can pull out my box of them later and give you some names on the brachiopods, but I see Composita and Cleiothytridina sublamellosa in there as well as others.

Thank you both for the kind words and helping with the IDs. Super helpful for a newbie like myself!

• Enjoyed 1

On 1/30/2023 at 12:56 PM, Jeffrey P said:

Great finds! Especially the crinoid crown with arms and calyx, but the brachiopods and blastoids are cool too. Congratulations and thanks for posting. 

On 1/31/2023 at 11:17 AM, Collector9658 said:

Great finds. That calyx is very nice.

Thank you both for the kind words. The calyx was definitely a welcome surprise.

On 1/29/2023 at 9:56 PM, jforbes said:

Is it common for the fossils to break into these well defined segments of head, thorax, or pygidium?

Yes it is. The majority of these types of finds are so-called molts, where the creature "shrugged off" and crept out of the old exoskeleton during the regular renewal process as do many arthropods up to the present time. The segments usually separated during the process and were often drifted away from each other by the currents.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/