One mosasaur? SD

Slow Walker

Could these all be from 1 animal?  Found these scattered about in Pierre shale but all within 50ft. Wonder if I should try to find the origin of where they are coming from. The paddle bone looked small compare to the verts. Would this be an adult? ID on parts would be helpful to. Thanks

20230126_082523.jpg

20230126_082526.jpg

20230126_082554.jpg

20230126_082501.jpg

• Enjoyed 2

Seems to be at least a couple of caudal vertebrae in there. The paddle bone could come from a rear paddle, explaining why it might be smaller. Still, it's difficult to identify mosasaur vertebrae to species and, as such, hard to say if they'd be from the same individual. Never hurts to look for the origin of the vertebrae, though ;)

All the same, great finds! :yay-smiley-1:

Edited by pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon
  • Thank You 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

1 hour ago, Praefectus said:

Nice find. I am not sure there is any reason to think these are from the same skeleton, though. 

Well there location was close together. but size seemed different to me. 

1 hour ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

Seems to be at least a couple of caudal vertebrae in there. The paddle bone could come from a rear paddle, explaining why it might be smaller. Still, it's difficult to identify mosasaur vertebrae to species and, as such, hard to say if they'd be from the same individual. Never hurts to look for the origin of the vertebrae, though ;)

All the same, great finds! :yay-smiley-1:

Thanks!

I meant name of bone types. One looked to flat for vert.

Not spieces. 

9 minutes ago, Slow Walker said:

Thanks!

I meant name of bone types. One looked to flat for vert.

Not spieces. 

All of them, except one, are vertebrae. The rounded ones with the two "nubbins" close together on the hollow end of the vertebra are terminal caudal vertebrae, those with the "wings" to their sides are lumbar or pygal ones (can't make all of them out with sufficient detail). The flat paddle bone is probably a tibia (these bones can have slightly different morphologies depending on genus and species, which I'm unfortunately not familiar with, hence the presumption).

825322295_MosasaurvertebraeD.V.GrigorievPetrogradUni.thumb.jpg.e284598fb6780d96d9d204245b2f28c0.jpg

(source)

1630087606_Prognathodonovertonirearpaddle.thumb.jpg.a786cb1b381d7e882c8308b610cac125.jpg

Rear paddle of Prognathodon overtoni (Konishi, Brinkman, Massare and Caldwell, 2011)

• I found this Informative 4

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

On 1/29/2023 at 5:04 PM, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

All of them, except one, are vertebrae. The rounded ones with the two "nubbins" close together on the hollow end of the vertebra are terminal caudal vertebrae, those with the "wings" to their sides are lumbar or pygal ones (can't make all of them out with sufficient detail). The flat paddle bone is probably a tibia (these bones can have slightly different morphologies depending on genus and species, which I'm unfortunately not familiar with, hence the presumption).

825322295_MosasaurvertebraeD.V.GrigorievPetrogradUni.thumb.jpg.e284598fb6780d96d9d204245b2f28c0.jpg

(source)

1630087606_Prognathodonovertonirearpaddle.thumb.jpg.a786cb1b381d7e882c8308b610cac125.jpg

Rear paddle of Prognathodon overtoni (Konishi, Brinkman, Massare and Caldwell, 2011)

Do you know if the 2 limbs shown are both rear limbs? The either tibia look a bit different from each other. Thanks

• I found this Informative 1

41 minutes ago, Slow Walker said:

Do you know if the 2 limbs shown are both rear limbs? The either tibia look a bit different from each other. Thanks

Note that both have "fe" = femur, "ti" = tibia, and "fi" = fibula.

• I Agree 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

4 hours ago, Slow Walker said:

3 hours ago, JohnJ said:

I agree both do superficially look a bit different. But if you look at the morphology of the bones more closely, you note that they do actually look quite similar. Thus, they're just differentially preserved paddles from opposite sides of the body, as can also be seen from the skeletal overview photograph.

• I found this Informative 1

8 hours ago, JohnJ said:

5 hours ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

I agree both do superficially look a bit different. But if you look at the morphology of the bones more closely, you note that they do actually look quite similar. Thus, they're just differentially preserved paddles from opposite sides of the body, as can also be seen from the skeletal overview photograph.

I understand they are labeled the same but there are a few noticeable shape differences. Could that be from pieces missing or disfiguring of it during preservation? 

Also do you know why photos often in research papers are black and white?

Just now, Slow Walker said:

Also do you know why photos often in research papers are black and white?

Colour can be distracting. Generally, black and white photos will better show the contrast of the diagnostic features. It can also be common with some fossils to add ammonium chloride vapour to accentuate those diagnostic features, so showing colour would be moot in such a circumstance.

• I Agree 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

43 minutes ago, Slow Walker said:

I understand they are labeled the same but there are a few noticeable shape differences. Could that be from pieces missing or disfiguring of it during preservation?

Well, apart from the fact that both paddles would be mirror image from one another, and the second paddle being incomplete, I think it's perfectly possible that there could be some plastic deformation, as well as differential taphonomic effects that would change the appearance of either paddle. Overall, though, I'd say these differences are but minor variations when you compare them to interspecific or intergeneric variability. That is, I don't see the differences here as being overly big...

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1