Ashleyliebs

I found this on the beach in NJ today. It has a lot of weight to it. Any idea how old it might be or what species this could be? 

13FFB069-6CB8-415D-91E3-8565E8511D6E.jpeg

E0A7A057-16EC-42DF-95EC-4F794F4E601F.jpeg

C0D50A0F-46C8-4290-A17D-AC0432E76D34.jpeg

• Enjoyed 3

The Cretaceous Period ran from ~145 million years ago to ~66 million years ago. I do not know if that particular genus is only restricted to part of the Cretaceous. Very nice find. 

A quick search indicates that the genus Hardouinia is Late Cretaceous in age which would narrow the time range to 66-100 million years old. 

Edited by ClearLake
More info

Everything about this echinoid makes me think it was originally found at Holden Beach in NC. The color, preservation, size, and form, even the bioerosion. Hardouinia have been found in the Matawan area of NJ, but they are usually internal molds. Can I ask what general area of NJ this was found? I wonder if a collector somehow dropped it in NJ for some reason. Maybe some NJ collectors can comment on this.

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

6 hours ago, Al Dente said:

Everything about this echinoid makes me think it was originally found at Holden Beach in NC. The color, preservation, size, and form, even the bioerosion. Hardouinia have been found in the Matawan area of NJ, but they are usually internal molds. Can I ask what general area of NJ this was found? I wonder if a collector somehow dropped it in NJ for some reason. Maybe some NJ collectors can comment on this.

Hey! Thank you so much for responding. I found this guy in Sea Isle City NJ. It was found in the dunes part of the beach. We have been getting so many dune erosions from the tides and hurricanes. So I wonder if it was burried for sometime. The dunes have about 7ft-10ft drops  due to the erosions. Could have been from dredging a long time ago?

14 hours ago, ClearLake said:

The Cretaceous Period ran from ~145 million years ago to ~66 million years ago. I do not know if that particular genus is only restricted to part of the Cretaceous. Very nice find. 

A quick search indicates that the genus Hardouinia is Late Cretaceous in age which would narrow the time range to 66-100 million years old. 

Wow. I never heard of these. I’m glad I posted here. So many knowledgeable people. I wouldn’t sell it I don’t think. But do you know how much these would go for? I clean the beach everyday picking up trash and I also metal detect as a hobby, so this was like a little present from the ocean for taking care of her !

6 hours ago, Al Dente said:

I clean the beaches daily, walking miles picking up trash and metal detecting as a hobby. I have found so many unique things but this was definitely a fun find. Simply a gift from the ocean for taking care of her. 

1 hour ago, Ashleyliebs said:

But do you know how much these would go for?

Sorry, we do not speak about money here.

Btw, nice find, congrats!
Franz Bernhard

• I found this Informative 1