are there any good places to find trilobite fossils near chicago?

Rh_4m

i’m pretty novice when it comes to my fossil hunting experience, i’ve done a few trips but nothing crazy. During most of those trips, i always had the goal in mind of finding a trilobite fossil, but, as of now, i haven’t had much success other than a partial pygidium. 

i think the main problem for me is that i don’t really know where to look. When i try to do research online i don’t really find much. the most pat payoff i’ve had is looking through old geology surveys. 

I know that finding a trilobite, let alone a complete one, is very rare, but are there any places in particular that I could go to that could yield them? anything that’s like 6 hours away from chicago would do, and also ideally it’s at a place where i don’t have to worry about the law getting on my back.

and as long as i’m here, are there any good resources around for finding fossil hunting locations? like websites, PDFs or books? 

Edited by Rh_4m

I started looking to discover this info myself, as well - but there is an organization that has already collected the info and this organization may be one you want to follow:

https://www.esconi.org/esconi_earth_science_club/

I'm from the Chicago area as well, and am interested in Trilobites.  Would be very cool to find one myself here in Illinois!

Put "illinois trilobite" into search bar on this forum.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/29/2023 at 8:38 PM, AchillesWF said:

I started looking to discover this info myself, as well - but there is an organization that has already collected the info and this organization may be one you want to follow:

https://www.esconi.org/esconi_earth_science_club/

I'm from the Chicago area as well, and am interested in Trilobites.  Would be very cool to find one myself here in Illinois!

woah this is really cool! thanks!

On 2/1/2023 at 1:40 PM, Mark Kmiecik said:

Put "illinois trilobite" into search bar on this forum.

oh lol… i’m amazed i never thought about doing that. That actually helps so much, thanks!