Peace River trip January 31st

Shellseeker

Out with my most frequent hunting partner.  With the cold weather turning warmer, and the river dropping,  we have been prospecting sites that proved productive in previous seasons. It does not always pay off.. sometimes the locations have been covered by feet of sand or the gravel we were digging in last year has been carried downstream to parts unknown.

Today was sunny and warm, we checked one location for 90 minutes followed by another and both were good (lots of small shark teeth) but not great.. We moved to a third location that we had hunted extensively in previous years and once again it has some real potential for finds that are new and rare....

This was my first hint.... I have found 1 equivalent and 1 better in 15 years.. They tend to be fragile in the churn of the Peace River...

CapybaraText.thumb.jpg.848b6acc54b8773becad1de47896357c.jpg

This was next, once again rare for the instance.  I believe it is an Osteoderm, but what mammal and where on the body is it positioned?

MergeOsteodermText.thumb.jpg.0744314402a2781d7ecfc0b4e6498e63.jpg

Then this Cetacean ear bone,  I need some time to try and ID but more likely , I need @Boesse to validate any ID I make..

CetaceanEarboneText.thumb.jpg.7779f6ded33aa67bb185fd340fbd9cf9.jpg

Then , while I was thinking about Cetaceans... This showed up in my sieve...

HumerusMerge.thumb.jpg.cdbe9e728e4d0bb8070bce9c15189b3c.jpg

There were many Hemis, Aduncus/Contortous, half a shark vert, many in good shape.  I will sort them tomorrow.

My partner found a fish tooth, very small Armadillo edge vert,  and at the end of the day contributed this rarity... I am jealous.  At 3 inches, I think it may be from a big toothed whale....

IMG_8426.thumb.JPG.ec5b9ca2f30bcc817fe0cb98bc6e0820.JPGIMG_8427.thumb.JPG.95f867dfee825a0ea6fcb82256a79b69.JPGIMG_8428.thumb.JPG.42f2e39780bc3290a53ca241a2af665d.JPG

One of those great days on the Peace River... I am indeed fortunate...

• Enjoyed 13

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

D. bellus for the very small edge osteoderm? 

i think the other osteoderm is either Holmesina or Tortoise, but leaning Holmesina based on the top pattern. 

awesome finds Jack! 

Fossils? I dig it. :meg:

2 hours ago, Meganeura said:

D. bellus for the very small edge osteoderm? 

i think the other osteoderm is either Holmesina or Tortoise, but leaning Holmesina based on the top pattern. 

awesome finds Jack! 

Played yesterday,  today is a work day around the house...

From memory, partner's small osteoderm was almost exactly from this (Harry ?) photo far right

armadillo_osteoderms.JPG.jpg.1b6693a878a79dcfb5b0d26c3eaf214b.jpg

I had not previously seen a round one...  have you?

I am really impressed by that huge earbone... Never seen the like....

Has to be what I have been calling Scaldicetus...These from the Peace River proper...

WhaleMRG2txt.jpg.a8dffebc122fc47f04c2ea2a1120c52c.jpgpost-Digit_PeaceRiver.jpg.848d68863ea4c34cc37959689842e376.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

30 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

Played yesterday,  today is a work day around the house...

From memory, partner's small osteoderm was almost exactly from this (Harry ?) photo far right

armadillo_osteoderms.JPG.jpg.1b6693a878a79dcfb5b0d26c3eaf214b.jpg

I had not previously seen a round one...  have you?

I am really impressed by that huge earbone... Never seen the like....

Has to be what I have been calling Scaldicetus...These from the Peace River proper...

WhaleMRG2txt.jpg.a8dffebc122fc47f04c2ea2a1120c52c.jpgpost-Digit_PeaceRiver.jpg.848d68863ea4c34cc37959689842e376.jpg

Oh yeah that’s definitely D. Bellus then!

I haven’t seen any round Holemsina ones, but I know they can have odd shapes. That thin is definitely not Glyptodont, so unless I’m totally missing another animal it’s mostly just process of elimination!

And that really is quite the massive earbone. I can’t wait to see what Bobby has to say on it.

Edited by Meganeura

The 3rd photo likely is Pomatodelphis, a river dolphin identified in SW Florida

CetaceanEarboneText.thumb.jpg.7779f6ded33aa67bb185fd340fbd9cf9.jpg

Here is a photo from 2017 on a previous find

RiverDolphinCompare.jpg.934d56b44851cf3dc7d5ec991f9955fb.jpg

Your Pomatodelphis periotic also strongly resembles squalodelphinid periotics, but they can be difficult to tell apart. The bigger periotic is from a small balaenopterid baleen whale and is probably Pliocene - we find this taxon in the Yorktown Fm at the Lee Creek Mine.

• Thank You 1

1 hour ago, Boesse said:

Your Pomatodelphis periotic also strongly resembles squalodelphinid periotics, but they can be difficult to tell apart. The bigger periotic is from a small balaenopterid baleen whale and is probably Pliocene - we find this taxon in the Yorktown Fm at the Lee Creek Mine.

Thanks ,  I will go and find some "squalodelphinid periotics" to see what they look like...

14 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

Thanks ,  I will go and find some "squalodelphinid periotics" to see what they look like...

I found a research paper:  Kentriodontid and squalodelphinid dolphins from the Upper Marine Molasse (Burdigalian age) of Switzerland.  which has lots of periotics,

Squalodon.JPG.72ed7e1fa072439e5d005215f45a81b3.JPG

These are relatively small, approx 35-45 mm periotics for both Kentriodontid and squalodelphinid dolphins. While I have found a couple of teeth and periotics Kentriodontid,  I do not think I have heard much from  the Florida Scientific community (Research papers, UFMNH websites, etc) on squalodelphinid dolphins.

So If I were to find "b" from the squalodelphinid table above,  I would very likely identify it as Pomatodelphis .sp because it is about the same size and shares many features...

Also, I got some measurements on what I believe is a Metacarpal from a Dolphin.

FlipperBoneMetacarpal3text.thumb.jpg.4537fc199ade1286af9a5b4f6efbd7d0.jpgf-limb-p-199921745.jpg.7489933c6de128852339035195b5756c.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

49 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

I found a research paper:  Kentriodontid and squalodelphinid dolphins from the Upper Marine Molasse (Burdigalian age) of Switzerland.  which has lots of periotics,

Squalodon.JPG.72ed7e1fa072439e5d005215f45a81b3.JPG

These are relatively small, approx 35-45 mm periotics for both Kentriodontid and squalodelphinid dolphins. While I have found a couple of teeth and periotics Kentriodontid,  I do not think I have heard much from  the Florida Scientific community (Research papers, UFMNH websites, etc) on squalodelphinid dolphins.

So If I were to find "b" from the squalodelphinid table above,  I would very likely identify it as Pomatodelphis .sp because it is about the same size and shares many features...

Also, I got some measurements on what I believe is a Metacarpal from a Dolphin.

FlipperBoneMetacarpal3text.thumb.jpg.4537fc199ade1286af9a5b4f6efbd7d0.jpgf-limb-p-199921745.jpg.7489933c6de128852339035195b5756c.jpg

I gotta ask, Jack, how on earth did you recognize that as anything but a random chunk of bone? 

8 minutes ago, Meganeura said:

I gotta ask, Jack, how on earth did you recognize that as anything but a random chunk of bone? 

Some fossils make a bigger impression on me. Just took this photo.....

Note the "V" where this whale and dolphin toebones attach.  When I found them years back, I noted that the same "v" occurs in Mastodon/Mammoth toe bones, including the metacarpals... All I saw was the "v" and knew immediately I have one or the other.  Mastodon/Mammoth have a different proximal end, and it was not big enough for whale...

IMG_8467.thumb.JPG.d3819dc8790d344d5e71b5a022ee9630.JPG

But I remembered the center Metacarpal...

• Enjoyed 2

1 minute ago, Shellseeker said:

Some fossils make a bigger impression on me. Just took this photo.....

Note the "V" where this whale and dolphin toebones attach.  When I found them years back, I noted that the same "v" occurs in Mastodon/Mammoth toe bones, including the metacarpals... All I saw was the "v" and knew immediately I have one or the other.  Mastodon/Mammoth have a different proximal end, and it was not big enough for whale...

IMG_8467.thumb.JPG.d3819dc8790d344d5e71b5a022ee9630.JPG

But I remembered the center Metacarpal...

That makes a lot of sense! So just experience more than anything else. 

• I Agree 1