Hello

so this is my first post here, but I was hoping for some help. I recently purchased a collection of framed fossils . They are all from different time periods and yet have a very similar colour (dark brown, black, grey) therefore, I’m wondering if these are real? And if so what would explain the colour? I’ve attached photos of them all together and separate. Thank you

68399765-CC41-456D-9739-BED6068C0959.jpeg

251B1C22-BC3D-4574-ABA5-F4DCC6CF82BC.jpeg

056A4822-CAA2-4F7D-BD8D-D727EBE81B4B.jpeg

6B175649-9D8F-456B-B564-4C9271795945.jpeg

C7FE96E8-C8C3-4DBA-B7C5-63B6A973B574.jpeg

Hello, they look like casts in my opinion. 

Beter photos are needed to conclude this.

It looks like bronze? 

The Ammonite for sure is a cast , and the fossil fish , but my guess is that they are all casts used for decorative purpose. 

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 4

3 minutes ago, Phos_01 said:

Hello, they look like casts in my opinion. 

Beter photos are needed to conclude this.

It looks like bronze? 

The Ammonite for sure is a cast , and the fossil fish , but my guess is that they are all casts used for decorative purpose. 

Thank you, yes that makes total sense actually. I have collected my own ammonites whilst fossil hunting and compared the weight and it seems to be off. Oh well, some nice new decorative pieces instead haha.

1 minute ago, Rcor said:

Oh well, some nice new decorative pieces instead

These are so obvious. How did the seller describe them?
Franz Bernhard

They described them as “stunning set of 4 framed fossils” the pictures they used were much worse than mine, so I thought I was getting a bargain from someone who didn’t  care about fossils/had no idea, but it turns out neither of us had any idea haha

• Thank You 1

2 minutes ago, Rcor said:

They described them as “stunning set of 4 framed fossils” the pictures they used were much worse than mine, so I thought I was getting a bargain from someone who didn’t  care about fossils/had no idea, but it turns out neither of us had any idea haha

I think they knew what they were selling, their bad pictures help hide it. 

• I Agree 2

17 minutes ago, Rcor said:

I thought I was getting a bargain

Any chance getting a refund?
Franz Bernhard

Edited by FranzBernhard

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Are my purchased fossils real?

Yup, unfortunately I have to agree. ;) As soon as I took a look at these fossils, I knew they had to be casts. 

Cheers and Shalom,

-Micah

The number of new members we see on here who have been sold fake fossils is very sad.  :shakehead:  I had no idea the extent of the issue until I joined the forum.  Then, going to my first fossil show, I saw how the Moroccan Otodus obliquus teeth were all broken and then put back together using filler to make the teeth longer.  I never would have known if not for reading it on here.

• I Agree 1

Fin Lover

image.png.e69a5608098eeb4cd7d1fc5feb4dad1e.png image.png.e6c66193c1b85b1b775526eb958f72df.png image.png.65903ff624a908a6c80f4d36d6ff8260.png

image.png.7cefa5ccc279142681efa4b7984dc6cb.png

My favorite things about fossil hunting: getting out of my own head, getting into nature and, if I’m lucky, finding some cool souvenirs.

19 hours ago, Fin Lover said:

The number of new members we see on here who have been sold fake fossils is very sad.  :shakehead:  I had no idea the extent of the issue until I joined the forum.  Then, going to my first fossil show, I saw how the Moroccan Otodus obliquus teeth were all broken and then put back together using filler to make the teeth longer.  I never would have known if not for reading it on here.

Yup, I agree 

I am relatively new to fossil collecting. Bought a few bits (luckily all were ok). And then found this forum. 

And it was on the forum that I learned how careful one has to be before buying anything. 

Especially from a few countries / locations - Items will almost certainly be composite, carved, plaster, modern bone......... 

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png MotM August 2023 - Eclectic Collector

Luckily it's easy to learn to spot the poor-quality fakes (as long as the pics are good enough). You might pay more for higher-quality fakes which are harder to distinguish from the real ones, but hopefully not so much that you can't make back your money by reselling them, but it seems that these more often are sold honestly by scientific replica outfits for museums, etc.