pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon

Roughly two years ago, while investigating the identity of a marine reptile tooth said to have come from Lyme Regis, I got hinted about a spectacular new marine crocodile, much older than any other member of the thalattosuchian clade. This new species has finally been described: Turnersuchus hingleyae! Set outside the traditional subgroupings of teleosauroidea and metriorhynchoidea, this newly described species has major implications for the evolutionary relationships between thalattosuchians and other crocodylomorphs.

1995258719_Turnersuchushingleyaematerialoverview.thumb.jpg.089c7ab3f53481c5f94a0de223002cbb.jpg83101878_Turnersuchushingleyaedorsalvertebrae.thumb.jpg.de1ac9a94272e7c06e1917b6325857de.jpg

Wilberg, Godoy, Griffiths, Turner & Benson, 2023. A new early diverging thalattosuchian (Crocodylomorpha) from the Early Jurassic (Pliensbachian) of Dorset, U.K. and implications for the origin and evolution of the group.

julia-d-oliveira-turnersuchus.thumb.jpeg.e0a8a61eab050a7f928bb89181088529.jpeg

Art by Júlia d'Oliveira (source)

• I found this Informative 7
  • Enjoyed 3

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

Interesting, have heard about the fossil some time ago when do some work on an early croc from Toarc of the posidonia slate. But did not know that the paper came out.

thanks for sharing

So cool, and the paleo art associated with it is good as well. I almost like those beautifully portrayed belemnites more than the croc :wub:

• I Agree 2

“Not only is the universe stranger than we think, it is stranger than we can think” -Werner Heisenberg 

6 hours ago, Jared C said:

So cool, and the paleo art associated with it is good as well. I almost like those beautifully portrayed belemnites more than the croc :wub:

I agree about the belemnites. :) And the ammonite is the desirable and rare (at least in 3D) zonal Phricodoceras taylori.

• Enjoyed 2

Tarquin