Any tips for hunting the Oglesby Illinois roadcut?

jforbes

I am planning a visit to the Oglesby site over the next few weeks. This will be my first trip where fossils aren't already eroded out of their matrix. Does anyone have any advice for me? Should I spend time attempting to break rock on site, or try to observe fossils already exposed? Are there any concerns with bringing tools to sites like this? Hammering rocks doesn't quite feel like surface collecting, and I would very much like to avoid getting into any trouble with any authorities. Let me know your thoughts. Im excited to give this a shot and will post any of my finds!

You're gonna want to smash as many rocks as possible. This site is extremely rewarding but is hazardous and difficult at the same time. Lots of large falling rocks so watch your step and head. Lots of large fragile brachiopods so take your time, because you're going to break a few. 

• I Agree 1

9 hours ago, Tales From the Shale said:

Lots of large fragile brachiopods so take your time, because you're going to break a few. 

Bring some superglue. Watch out for poison ivy. Even though currently leafless, it can still cause a serious rash if encountered.

I want to reiterate what @Tales From the Shale said, be very cautious this time of year- in addition to ice and slick surfaces, the freeze/thaw erosion process will have weakened the headwall and increased the possibility of large rocks coming down.