Stingray teeth, all the same with different shape ?

Shale_stack

If I am visualizing these two correctly, I would say they are two different types. But ray teeth can differ greatly in shape within an individual mouthplate. One of the real differences between genera can best be seen in profile view, so pictures from some different angles might make it easier. I believe the lower one in your picture is an Aetobatus (looks like the root extends well past the crown and it appears to have a curved, rounded end not an angular one) and the other one is perhaps a Rhinoptera but someone like @sixgill pete or @Al Dente will probably recognize these more confidently. 

This website has a nice guide to walk you through the features to look for: http://elasmo.com/refs/slides/ss_myliobatid.html

• I Agree 1

I agree with ClearLake that the lower one is Aetobatus, their teeth tend to narrow toward the ends and curve toward the back. The other tooth could be Rhinoptera, but a more complete tooth would be easier to ID.

Agree with the above. And just to be clear with the terminology both of these tooth plates are from Eagle Rays (family Myliobatidae) and not Whiptail Stingrays (family Dasyatidae).

Stingrays have super tiny little teeth that are quite different from the myliobatid rays. See images below for examples of actual stingray teeth.

Cheers.

-Ken

Dasyatid1.jpg

Dasyatid2.jpg

Dasyatid3.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

12 hours ago, digit said:

Agree with the above. And just to be clear with the terminology both of these tooth plates are from Eagle Rays (family Myliobatidae) and not Whiptail Stingrays (family Dasyatidae).

Stingrays have super tiny little teeth that are quite different from the myliobatid rays. See images below for examples of actual stingray teeth.

Cheers.

-Ken

Dasyatid1.jpg

Dasyatid2.jpg

Dasyatid3.jpg

Thanks for the clarification. Wow those stingray teeth! I’ll have to go find some! 

On 2/2/2023 at 12:29 AM, ClearLake said:

If I am visualizing these two correctly, I would say they are two different types. But ray teeth can differ greatly in shape within an individual mouthplate. One of the real differences between genera can best be seen in profile view, so pictures from some different angles might make it easier. I believe the lower one in your picture is an Aetobatus (looks like the root extends well past the crown and it appears to have a curved, rounded end not an angular one) and the other one is perhaps a Rhinoptera but someone like @sixgill pete or @Al Dente will probably recognize these more confidently. 

This website has a nice guide to walk you through the features to look for: http://elasmo.com/refs/slides/ss_myliobatid.html

0804CCE6-7976-4C5E-8919-630F3CE7AC76.jpeg

0EEC2D2F-A29B-4931-B61C-120E55C04AE1.jpeg

C78A8838-D529-477A-AB69-BC359EE998EC.jpeg

C8AD6A29-5F0C-4CD8-80B3-85DFB1BAFFAF.jpeg